ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > General Software Discussion

Partition Alignment increases performance

<< < (2/2)

Shades:
Personally, I did not note that much speed difference in reading or writing to aligned partitions, but the resource use of my system dropped significantly when performing (lots of) read/write operations.

Hence my 5 year old system doesn't drag its feet anymore, which is why I am happy to have used it.

peterlonz:
I am not sure I trust Paragon.
I have at least one of their applications which I cannot completely remove.
I am repeatedly pestered by the program residue "would I like to update".
I think the totality of the comments here are a fair indication that this  free "alignment" product is likely to be fragile & may amount to little more than an email harvesting attempt.
I hope I am wrong.

SchoolDaGeek:
Has anyone here actually benchmarked their before and after results? I'd be very interested to know how big a difference this makes. IMO disk access is unacceptably slow these days compared to CPU, memory, and GPU speeds.

- Oshyan
-JavaJones (July 14, 2010, 03:26 PM)
--- End quote ---

In this scenario, "seat of the pants" is a very valid benchmark.  I have aligned partitions using the commonly available Paragon software and have literally visually seen impressive performance when nothing else was changed.

In the whitepaper, there is an allusion to two transactions being performed per read/write.  I have personally witnessed the lag through the HD LED on the front of not a few computers before and after aligning partitions.  Before alignment, the HD light would flash twice, hence darkness in between.  Once aligned it was a solid flash with no space in between for the same IO transaction in Task Mgr.

JavaJones:
I'm sorry but after years of experience with confirmation bias in perceptual estimates of performance, I'm really only interested in measurable, reproducible results.

- Oshyan

Curt:
In this scenario, "seat of the pants" is a very valid benchmark.  I have aligned partitions using the commonly available Paragon software and have literally visually seen impressive performance when nothing else was changed.

In the whitepaper, there is an allusion to two transactions being performed per read/write.  I have personally witnessed the lag through the HD LED on the front of not a few computers before and after aligning partitions.  Before alignment, the HD light would flash twice, hence darkness in between.  Once aligned it was a solid flash with no space in between for the same IO transaction in Task Mgr.
-SchoolDaGeek (July 03, 2011, 06:32 PM)
--- End quote ---
At the same time I would of course like to hear if any one has tried this.
Does it really  - dramatically or less than dramatically - improve performance ?
 :tellme:
-Curt (July 09, 2010, 04:41 AM)
--- End quote ---

-thanks, SchoolDaGeek; you've answered my question  :up:

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[*] Previous page

Go to full version