ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > General Software Discussion

Bartels Media paranoia

<< < (5/14) > >>

mouser:
I don't want to re-litigate this and dredge up lots of arguments, etc., but for the record, Bartels has posted some pretty damn clear evidence that other companies are in some cases actually stealing byte-for-byte files that he has written for his program and using it in their programs which are based on his work.

Again, i really don't want to get into a debate about the wisdom of trying to have these arguments on our forum, but i think some sympathy is due for someone who may (rightly in some cases) feel like other companies are stealing his work and then posting here about their products.

Josh:
Sympathy and understanding for a user is one thing. Allowing them to attack and insult our users is another. If the crowds would like, I can restore the last two posts that were removed prior to my banning Bartels in which a couple of our users were directly attacked and I can link to others where several more were attacked.

DC is a site about learning about software. Who's to say that some of the other programs advertised here are not blatant forgeries of other works? I understand the frustration of having this happen but taking over every thread where one of these products is mentioned is a bit absurd and attacking our users who might prefer the other versions is even worse.

It seemed that users were being diverted away from the topics every time that Bartels would post in said threads. This is a detractor not only to the quality of responses we would normally expect at DC, but it removes from possible discussions which could be had because most of the replies from BM were those of retaliation and attack. I simply do not agree with that.

wraith808:
I will say that the Breevy developer reacted much smarter to the attacks and slurs than the DA guy did. BTW, I'm now using Breevy.  :P
-J-Mac (February 12, 2010, 11:45 PM)
--- End quote ---

Do you know if there are any advantages of Breezy over DA?  I was using DA, then switched to MacroExpress Pro, but it's a bit too heavy for launching applications (though good for a lot of other things), so I've been looking at the newest version of DA...  how does Breezy compare?

wraith808:
Bartals was banned by me for hijacking various threads and accusing other coders/members of stealing various things in every thread that mentioned a competing product. The way I look at it, DC is not the forum to vent at every single developer you can and then attack people for saying they use a competing product.
-Josh (February 13, 2010, 05:33 AM)
--- End quote ---

I'm pretty sure I remember that Bartels left of his own accord.  He was addressed in several threads about his tendency to hijack them, but then at one point (I remember because I was in the conversation) he said that he was done with the boards.  It was pretty annoying that he'd hijack *any* thread about a competing product.

Sorry... removed offending part of post.

mouser:
Arguing about the validity of his claims is exactly what is going to open up all this stuff again.. how can we expect someone to not reply to a thread claiming he has no proof people are stealing his work?  sigh.. this has really become counter-productive.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version