topbanner_forum

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
  • Thursday April 18, 2024, 9:11 am
  • Proudly celebrating 15+ years online.
  • Donate now to become a lifetime supporting member of the site and get a non-expiring license key for all of our programs.
  • donate

Author Topic: Linus Up Close and Personal [via Glyn Moody]  (Read 6203 times)

zridling

• Friend of the Site
  • Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Linus Up Close and Personal [via Glyn Moody]
« on: October 27, 2008, 09:40 PM »
If you're familiar with recent computing history and open source, you might recognize some of the famous names in these videos. Though the real fun must have been at the Plumbers Conference.

[via Glyn Moody]:
Here's a brace of videos from the recent Linux Kernel Summit. Human nature being what it is, most interest will probably focus on the interview with Linus.

linus08interview.jpg
(The response starting at 6.47 is telling.)

Truth to tell, there's nothing really dramatic there, but the video's definitely of interest because it's one of the highest quality offerings I've seen: if you've ever wondered what Linus *really* looks and sounds like, this is your chance.

ewemoa

• Honorary Member
  • Joined in 2008
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Re: Linus Up Close and Personal [via Glyn Moody]
« Reply #1 on: December 01, 2008, 01:18 AM »
Anyone else here on DC use Git?

I'm considering it.  BTW, you can find at least one other person who seems to be using git by searching for "git" on the forums here  ;)

Slightly on-topic...I guess there's this Linus talk on Git...have you seen it?
« Last Edit: December 01, 2008, 01:26 AM by ewemoa »

zridling

• Friend of the Site
  • Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #2 on: December 02, 2008, 02:38 AM »
Wow, great find ewemoa, I appreciate it. I've never seen git, but that's a funny back-and-forth presentation. The man is vicious on crappy software. The first five minutes kill.

ewemoa

• Honorary Member
  • Joined in 2008
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #3 on: December 02, 2008, 03:21 AM »
that's a funny back-and-forth presentation. The man is vicious on crappy software. The first five minutes kill.

I had fun watching too -- may be this is the type of thing folks were hinting at in the 'In praise of opinionated reviews' thread.

I'm slowly getting a sense of what git-related materials I'm coming across to figure out where to start -- I found a couple more videos and a few free books (a Wikipedia page on git provided some nice links too).  May be a git-dedicated thread would be in order ;)

40hz

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #4 on: December 02, 2008, 09:34 PM »
Much as I admire (and owe) Linus Torvalds, I'm slowly coming to the realization that the more I get to "know" him, the less and less I seem to like him.

Hmm...

f0dder

• Charter Honorary Member
  • Joined in 2005
  • [Well, THAT escalated quickly!]
    • View Profile
    • f0dder's place
    • Read more about this member.
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #5 on: March 08, 2010, 12:45 PM »
Much as I admire (and owe) Linus Torvalds, I'm slowly coming to the realization that the more I get to "know" him, the less and less I seem to like him.
Amen to that.

He might get some software stuff right (the git core datastructures (though not the frontend, or how things were initially unix-style duct-taped together) is a good example - basing a kernel on minix in the 90'es definitely wasn't), and listening to him being a royal asshole can be fun for a limited amount of time... and a royal asshole does seem to be a pretty fitting description of him, adding in "overinflated ego" as well.

Perhaps he's nicer in IRL, especially if you don't write code or talk software politics.
- carpe noctem

tinjaw

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #6 on: March 08, 2010, 08:15 PM »
may be this is the type of thing folks were hinting at in the 'In praise of opinionated reviews' thread.

I'll go cross-post this over there... but you haven't seen opinionated reviews until you have watched Zero Punctuation

I won't give you any hints. Just don't watch while you are drinking anything unless you have one of those plastic covers on your keyboard and a splash guard on your monitor.

f0dder

• Charter Honorary Member
  • Joined in 2005
  • [Well, THAT escalated quickly!]
    • View Profile
    • f0dder's place
    • Read more about this member.
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #7 on: March 09, 2010, 01:03 AM »
ZP rocks :)
- carpe noctem