ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > Living Room

Buzzzzzzzzinggggg - Google Buzz - Gmail with facebook features

<< < (3/8) > >>

wraith808:
 I don't know... I like the simplicity of it, and how it's integrated into gmail.  I'll see as time goes on, but so far, it's made a pretty positive impression on me.  I've never really bought into the whole facebook thing, but this seems to combine the best of twitter with threading and the lack of extreme limitations on messages- like IM without the pressure of it being instant.

Tuxman:
Hmm, it is indeed a sign of consequence that Google started their own social network (no. 359857, I presume).
Now we all have the choice: Use Facebook and lose your privacy or use Buzz and lose your privacy. Leaked user data vs. profiling.

I think I'd choose none.

Lutz_:
...... but at the same time I wonder whether people actually like the separation between Gmail/email in general and something like Facebook. I think I do... :D-JavaJones (February 10, 2010, 04:49 PM)
--- End quote ---

This is my sentiment, too, somehow.  I like the functionality otherwise. Not as cluttered as other offerings.

Deozaan:
I don't think Google Buzz is just Gmail with Facebook features.

Did you know that buzzes appear on Google Maps with your precise location via GPS? I'm not talking just a dot on the map, I mean the street address, as well as your name. It's probably not accurate everywhere, but it correctly displays the address I'm at right now on my phone.

So now my Google Map (on my Android phone) is full of little Buzzes like "Just at work" written by Jake Tucker 8 hours ago (with address displayed) or from Matt Miller: "Just chilling in the car... Going to the dump on a feild [sic] trip." Once again the street address is listed.

Just to make it clear, I don't know any of the people these Buzzes are showing up for. But they all contain a profile picture, real name, street address, and of course the "tweet" containing useless information nobody cares about.

Kind of scary from a privacy perspective. I can just imagine it now:

"walking around nakid sinse no1 else is hear... hoap no crazy stockers read this lol!" Susan Dumfart 5 minutes ago. 123 Easy St, Springville, IL

Deozaan:
In other news, I think Buzz broke my Gmail.

My Compose New Message, Inbox, All Mail, Sent Mail, Drafts, Starred Mail, etc., and all my labels are missing. They've been replaced by a More dropdown link that doesn't do (or show) anything when clicked.

EDIT: Right after I posted this I reloaded Gmail again for the nth time and everything is back to normal!

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version