ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > Living Room

Networks and external drives

<< < (3/3)

40hz:
This might sound dumb, but you could always get a 6' USB cord and tape a loop of it to the back of your laptop lid with some easily removable flavor of tape.

That way, every time you close the laptop lid, your USB cable will be staring you in the face so you'll remember to remove it.

Alternatively, you could drape the cable across the back of your laptop by the monitor hinge such that you can't close the bugger without removing the cable first. I do this when I'm at client sites and I've brought an external drive with me. (I've had the same problem :redface: )

Luck! :)

Innuendo:
Here's another option that I don't think anyone else covered. Some routers these days have USB ports on the back to attach external drives & then that drive becomes a NAS you can access through the wireless router from anywhere on the network.

This might be the best solution, especially if your existing router is getting long in the tooth. (And everyone should run a router even if they are the only person in the dwelling using the internet.)

3of0:
I like SchoolDaGeek's idea, & just McGyver it to the lid of your laptop with some Velcro.
http://www.lifehacker.com.au/2010/02/from-the-tips-box-external-drives-userscript-organisation/

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[*] Previous page

Go to full version