ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > General Software Discussion

Recommend portable word processor, please?

(1/5) > >>

rjbull:
Other than Jarte, please an anyone recommend a portable = no-install, run-from-a-USB-stick word processor?  Not expecting anything like Word; indeed, I want something simpler.  Word is often too complicated.  Widely-used format like RTF (as used by Jarte) preferred, and also freeware, but the latter not absolutely vital.

Thanks...

KynloStephen66515:
Microsoft Wordpad?

This saves in RTF format, its Free, and its bundled on to every windows machine.

wraith808:
Microsoft Wordpad?

This saves in RTF format, its Free, and its bundled on to every windows machine.
-Stephen66515 (February 09, 2010, 04:14 PM)
--- End quote ---
It doesn't satisfy the first requirement - no-install/portable from a usb-stick.

I use AbiWord, and it satisfies all of my need.  You can find a portable version at PortableApps.com.  It is packaged as an executable, but you can extract it with 7-zip and copy the AbiWord directory from $_OUTDIR and it works just fine.

HTH

KynloStephen66515:
Easily portable from a USB stick, just download the RAR file attached to this message, unpack it, and put the folder (and ALL contents onto your USB drive)

rjbull:
@Stephen66515: Jarte is based on WordPad, but with extra features, and they say it can be run from a USB stick.  The point about WordPad being bundled with Windows anyway is a good one, though.

@wraith808: I looked at AbiWord years ago, and wasn't impressed, but that was then and maybe now is better.  I hadn't thought to look at porteableapps.  Good idea, thanks.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version