ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > General Software Discussion

on OS updates and breakage

<< < (2/3) > >>

urlwolf:
I've broken the system many times being my own fault (btw this is a lot harder to do on a windows box too). This time, I doubt it. There where two users and none of us was touching the system when this happened. We were about to launch a large simulation. Noone sudo'ed anything.

gjehle:
huh? pondering? i think the only reason you do not ponder is the fact that windows doesn't even give you a frickin' choice in the default setting.
"there's updates to be installed, you have to reboot". pardon me, what kind of updates? ohh, i see, keep protecting the stupid user from too much info :/

i've been running linux for way over 10 years now as my main operating system and i openly admit that it's not meant for everybody.
but i'm also pretty much blindly accepting any updates i get (i do glance over the list just to see what's affected).
in 99% of cases i didn't have the slightest problems, and mind you, i think it's safe to argue that on your average linux distro there's a lot more updates than what microsoft puts out.
the 1% is the odd kernel update that might cause a little hickup if you're running fancy hardware.
anyway, i haven't managed to break a linux system beyond usability or anything i wasn't able to fix myself right away in ages.
hell, i was even running a un-updatable gentoo system stuck in dependency hell for a year (neglecting updates on gentoo for more than half a year is no good idea) without problems.
since then i've switched to ubuntu and am happier than ever.

then again, it's not for everyone and who am i to evangelize anyone on their personal preferences.
just ticks me off if someone overgeneralizes and trolls about it :/
SCNR

f0dder:
huh? pondering? i think the only reason you do not ponder is the fact that windows doesn't even give you a frickin' choice in the default setting.
"there's updates to be installed, you have to reboot". pardon me, what kind of updates? ohh, i see, keep protecting the stupid user from too much info :/-gjehle (February 07, 2010, 07:40 AM)
--- End quote ---
This is a perfectly fine default Windows Update setting, considering the majority of Windows users aren't techies. And the rest of us can set the update policy to "download and notify" or "notify only".

anyway, i haven't managed to break a linux system beyond usability or anything i wasn't able to fix myself right away in ages.
hell, i was even running a un-updatable gentoo system stuck in dependency hell for a year (neglecting updates on gentoo for more than half a year is no good idea) without problems.-gjehle (February 07, 2010, 07:40 AM)
--- End quote ---
You haven't managed to break a system beyond usability, but you got your gentoo stuck in un-updatable dependency hell?  :huh: :huh: :huh:

gjehle:
You haven't managed to break a system beyond usability, but you got your gentoo stuck in un-updatable dependency hell?  :huh: :huh: :huh:
-f0dder (February 07, 2010, 08:32 AM)
--- End quote ---

I was still able to use it, just not update :D

Edvard:
Deozaan, re-install.
Then, after you have applied updates but before rebooting, do this:

--- ---sudo update-initramfs -u -k all
For some reason, the latest kernel packages don't trigger the creation of their own bootstrap.
And yes, JG, it had some roundabout thing to do with Grub2.
I too, found out the hard way.
 :mad:

On a lighter note, after I got that fixed, absolutely NOTHING else has broken in this release (first time for everything!) and I'm even running 64-bit!
 :Thmbsup:

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version