ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > General Software Discussion

on OS updates and breakage

<< < (3/3)

tinjaw:
I understand what you are saying, but it is kinda comparing apples and oranges. If you want a fairer comparison, compare Windows updates with Red Hat Enterprise Linux. Not CentOS. The legit paid for subscription to Red Hat. They test patches and check for incompatibilities and the like. Then it would be a fair comparison. And if you make such a comparison, I am sure you would see that the updates don't break things any more than Windows updates.

zridling:
When using windows, I never think twice about accepting updates. Worst case, I have to reboot.
But on linux, I don't know anyone that doesn't pause before accepting suggested updates.
Linuxes break things with updates. Mind you not only kernel updates... minor, unrelated things.
Thoughts?
-urlwolf (February 06, 2010, 06:42 PM)
--- End quote ---

Dude, you need a better distro, or you're doing something wrong. Packagers will warn you ahead of time if an update might break a dependency (for EACH specific app!). Besides, 99.5% of all updates are simple security updates. This is never a problem on openSUSE. Now, if by "Linux" you mean that you're updating your kernel without updating all the underlying software, then sure, you're asking for trouble. Perhaps you're updating individual apps?

A distro's software versions are tied to a specific kernel release, usually labeled the community release or factory stable release. Everything else is on your own. This is why it's a good idea to update your entire desktop environment (KDE, Gnome, Xfce) at one time rather than single packages.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[*] Previous page

Go to full version