topbanner_forum

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
  • Friday March 29, 2024, 8:21 am
  • Proudly celebrating 15+ years online.
  • Donate now to become a lifetime supporting member of the site and get a non-expiring license key for all of our programs.
  • donate

Last post Author Topic: Bartels Media paranoia  (Read 35261 times)

mouser

• First Author
  • Administrator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Mouser's Software Zone on DonationCoder.com
    • Read more about this member.
    • Donate to Member
Re: Bartels Media paranoia
« Reply #50 on: February 13, 2010, 05:51 PM »
i think this thread has convinced me that we really shouldn't have a dedicated Complaint Section on the forum.. it was a reasonable idea but it's just not appropriate here unless we want to get into these kinds of arguments regularly.

KynloStephen66515

• Animated Giffer in Chief
  • Honorary Member
  • Joined in 2010
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #51 on: February 13, 2010, 05:53 PM »
Agreed, but in some circumstances people need to know about bad companies, but I guess if there is some serious problem, people could just throw it into the Living Room for general discussion.  :up:

TucknDar

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #52 on: February 13, 2010, 05:58 PM »
Or just meet in #donationcoder where we can use all the fun NSFW language we want, as well >:D

edit: Just to clarify: not directed at anything or anyone in particular... just a tongue in cheek thing of course
« Last Edit: February 13, 2010, 06:09 PM by TucknDar »

bmms

• Participant
  • Joined in 2008
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #53 on: February 13, 2010, 06:03 PM »
I am very sorry for all the rage. We just try to provide a useful software and never intended to upset anyone. This is a strange experience but I learned a lesson.

This includes that we will rethink our forum policy. We take your feedback serious.  :Thmbsup:
Michael

KynloStephen66515

• Animated Giffer in Chief
  • Honorary Member
  • Joined in 2010
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #54 on: February 13, 2010, 06:12 PM »
I am very sorry for all the rage. We just try to provide a useful software and never intended to upset anyone. This is a strange experience but I learned a lesson.

This includes that we will rethink our forum policy. We take your feedback serious.  :Thmbsup:

That was probably the best thing you could of said lol, great that you understand that some people are actually trying to help, but it can certainly get blown out of proportion (on both sides) and, to be honest, I think the best has come out of this in the end.  :D

J-Mac

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #55 on: February 13, 2010, 06:17 PM »
i think this thread has convinced me that we really shouldn't have a dedicated Complaint Section on the forum.. it was a reasonable idea but it's just not appropriate here unless we want to get into these kinds of arguments regularly.

Oddly enough, I have never seen such bickering in complaint or praise threads here involving any other company. But then again maybe I just missed them.

Thank you.

Jim

Josh

• Charter Honorary Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #56 on: February 13, 2010, 06:19 PM »
I feel this forum serves its purpose and I feel that it should be allowed to remain.

tsaint

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
  • Hi from the a*** end of the earth
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #57 on: February 13, 2010, 06:32 PM »
I often invest energy in trying to prove I'm right - the more so when I'm frustrated be cause no one can see MY "correct" point of view. BAD habit!
My partner sometimes points this out to me. Trying to prove I'm right comes at a cost of proving how I'm so wrong (albeit on another level, connected with humility and generosity of spirit maybe).
I like DC because I rarely see ego trump topic
I have had sympathy for both camps in this thread and am mighty pleased if ,truly, it becomes a learning experience for all of us (including me as observer, being reminded of my own faults)

lehenryjr

• Participant
  • Joined in 2010
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #58 on: February 13, 2010, 06:39 PM »
Mouser,
I think you should keep the forum. It serves as a great exercise.

[and I hate it when adults fight]

Have a nice day!

Later,
Larry

mouser

• First Author
  • Administrator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #59 on: February 13, 2010, 07:43 PM »
It's not that i don't think it's useful for us to have threads where people can complain about products, companies, etc.

I'm just having second thoughts about the responsibility that comes along with having a section devoted to it - a feeling that it may seem to elevate the complaint to something more serious than one person's opinion..

Anyway, let's not discuss that here -- let's close this thread and discuss it in a separate thread.

I think everyone has had their say here, and all sides made their case.  Time to move on.

rjbull

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #60 on: February 14, 2010, 11:06 AM »
PhraseExpress only adds new words if they have been entered a configurable number of times and automatically removes junk (such as misspellings or words that are used only very rarely)
That's neat.  I had a different problem, though: having to simultaneously use US and UK dictionaries, plus lots of industry-specific technical jargon in some files - but not in others.  Making an expander adapt per file (i.e. matching a window) is probably too far out.

rjbull

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #61 on: February 14, 2010, 11:18 AM »
I am sorry that you felt the urge to be offensive but we entertain a comparatively vivid forum. We love our users and love to exchange thoughts, carefully listen to user input and help where we can.
If you are going to be sharp with users, expect criticism.  If we don't criticise you, how are you going to improve?  You should probably change the word "forum" because, as you have indicated, it isn't what we normally think of as a forum.  One of the meanings of "forum" is "a meeting to discuss topics of mutual concern" (Chambers 20th Century Dictionary).  It doesn't mean a church to receive the tablets from the mountain.
By the way, it would help if you would have added your license key to your forum signature to identify yourself as a supporting customer. Of course, supporting users do get extended and preferred customer support.
You ask for quite a lot of information:
Please always include the following information:

* Your PhraseExpress installation's version number!
    * Operating system (Windows XP, Vista, 7, 32 or 64-Bit, etc.)
    * Which operating system language and keyboard layout language is configured?
    * The target application where you try to paste into (Outlook 2003? Word 2007?)
    * How you do paste a phrase (using a hotkey, autotext or the pop-up menu)?
    * Would the problem also appear if you close all other programs and background tasks?
    * Would the problem also happen if you try Notepad as the target application?
    * We recommend to add your system information in your posting signature. Example: AMD 3GHZ, 4GB RAM, Win 7, 32-Bit
I see why you might need that, so may I suggest that you make PhraseExpress itself collect as much of that information as it can, so it can be pasted into a "forum" post with one click, rather than have users running about all over their computers trying to gather it together and probably relying on faulty memory instead?

J-Mac

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #62 on: February 14, 2010, 01:31 PM »
OK, maybe I am just slow this morning, but....

...if I put a license key in a forum sig, wouldn’t that let all who look take my key and, well, maybe do something they shouldn’t with it?

Thank you.

Jim

bmms

• Participant
  • Joined in 2008
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #63 on: February 14, 2010, 05:03 PM »
OK, maybe I am just slow this morning, but....

...if I put a license key in a forum sig, wouldn’t that let all who look take my key and, well, maybe do something they shouldn’t with it?

Thank you.

Jim

You are absolutely right. It should not be put into the signature. Please put it into the forum profile. The first 6 digits are fine.
Michael

bmms

• Participant
  • Joined in 2008
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #64 on: February 14, 2010, 05:09 PM »
I see why you might need that, so may I suggest that you make PhraseExpress itself collect as much of that information as it can, so it can be pasted into a "forum" post with one click, rather than have users running about all over their computers trying to gather it together and probably relying on faulty memory instead?

I fully agree with you and PhraseExpress collects some of the required information if you create a debug file.

The amount of the additionally required information varies depending on the actual nature of the issue.
Michael

mouser

• First Author
  • Administrator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #65 on: February 14, 2010, 07:04 PM »
It's good to see that this thread is wrapping up on a more productive note..

I'm locking the thread now and suggest that anyone interested in support for Phrase Express raise their issues on the Phrase Express forum.