ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > Living Room

Browser Wars: Why did you choose yours?

<< < (5/11) > >>

Tuxman:
Why does anyone prefer the copy?

Edvard:
Josh already explained...
If the copy is an improvement then it is very likely to be preferred to the original.
I've loved Firefox since the Phoenix days as well, mostly because I was very new on the internet at the time and I very quickly caught on that using IE on the web could oftentimes be akin to wearing a target on your shirt while exploring the local rifle range.
It was fairly speedy at first, but every new generation saw more and more features added and with it decreased speed and (dare I say it?...) bloat.

Then I switched to Linux and Firefox was the only game in town, so I was more or less stuck with it.
I tried Chrome, which is fairly speedy, but it just didn't "feel" right.
When I used Chrome, I felt like I was walking in the woods at night feeling eyes on me watching from behind every tree shadow.
Especially since I hear more and more every day about how much Google wants to know about me and what I'm doing with their browser on their search engine over their Inter...
oops. ulp. I almost said that out loud...

On a hopeful note, I have tested the latest iteration code-named Minefield and I have found a noticeable speed improvement.
Running them both in side-by-side comparison, the Minefield has that kind of 'touchy-feely fast' that Josh is referring to.
In a word, it's responsive, which is a word I haven't used to describe Firefox for quite some time, even with the latest improvements in 3.6.

If you're really brave, and you have the hardware and OS for it, get the 64-bit version (experimental Windows builds here: http://wiki.mozilla-x86-64.com/Firefox:Download ).
Yes, it's supposed to be considered 'unstable' but I haven't crashed it yet...

Stoic Joker:
I spend most of my time on servers where less is more, and on client's machines where you have to deal with what's there. So I find it's simpler to just learn how to deal with what is readily available (e.g. IE). I've used IE for years, and have no problems with it.

Addons have no appeal for me, the more things that are added simply increase the number of things that can go wrong. Page displayed, job done, end of need.

Josh:
That is one topic I wanted to touch on with chrome. Where are the privacy issues coming in to play? Does google really intercept and monitor all traffic used through the browser? Surely they do through their search engine since it is a great data analysis tool, but through the browser? I have not seen any mysterious connections to google when using chrome that were not initiated by me.

Is there a page which provides documented evidence of these things? I am not trying to attack here, merely inquisitive as I have not witnessed any mysterious behavior since using chrome. I am always willing to learn.

That said, like stoic, I use IE for a majority of my server management tasks because, like it or not, ActiveX still provides a very useful system for interacting with systems on a level which is far more complex using java and other scripting languages. IE is accepted by the DoD, the parent of who I work for (US Army). Firefox is becoming more so but it still needs a lot of changes made to it for it to work with DoD systems (CAC Card Authentication, certificate issues, etc).

kartal:
My favorites are K-Meleon, Elinks and Lynx beside Firefox. I use Epiphany and K-meleon(under wine) on my Ubuntu. To be honest K-meleon under Wine is faster than any browser on Ubuntu except console browsers like Elinks and Lynx. K-Meleon offers nice range of default tools, very accesible. The only thing I wish to have is an .mht exporter Such thing exists. Beside all those plusses, K-Meleon never wishes to be an ambitious project like Firefox.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version