ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > Living Room

Just how many Hitler videos does the world need?

(1/4) > >>

zridling:

[via The Guardian]:
Every time there is a reason for ranting, you can be sure that Hitler will be talking about it on YouTube. Recently, he has responded to the iPad; before that, he got mad because Chicago didn't get the Olympics, because of Facebook, because of the US bailout, and simply because he wanted to go to Burger King. These parodies use a scene from Downfall, the 2004 movie by Oliver Hirschbiegel – in the original, it's the moment that Hitler is told the war is truly lost – and are frequently taken down for copyright infringement on behalf of the movie's owner, Constantin Film. As of now, there are about 68 still up.

Hitler, of course, has been at this for quite a while now. But as the iPad video showed, millions of millions of users still think he is worth a click. So why does this Hitler meme seem to be so enduringly popular?

mediaguycouk:
I've got this film on my streaming server and I found it interesting to read what he was actually saying.

Got to admit that I really love them. Especially the ones that actually use the word 'Stalin' in the translations.  :-*

wr975:
"Hitler finally declares war on Hitler Parodies" is really funny.

"I'd post it again!" ... *lol* :D

Darwin:
I love these parodies. Some are better than others - for example, this one, Watchmen - Hitler finds out about new Watchmen ending was excellent while I thought that Hitler responds to the iPad fell flat in places...

Thanks for re-linking to the "Hitler finally declares war on Hitler Parodies", wr975. I've ignored it before but watched it this time - very funny, and nice to see a different scene from the original movie.

mouser:
Not only do i love these and find them hilarious, but i think they are fascinating from a "theory-of-humor" standpoint..

We still don't understand the nature of humor but prevailing theories seem to share the idea that some expectation or tension is built and then relieved.  These hitler parody videos are fascinating to the extent that they provide a very rigid template and set of expectations, that writers are now working within -- a kind of vocabularly that provides a tight structure, and yet only seems to enhance the humor.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version