ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > General Software Discussion

Cache My Work: reopen your Apps after reboot

(1/3) > >>

paarkhi:
CacheMyWork is a handy utility that enables you to reboot Windows without losing your place in your work. It builds a checklist of currently open applications, and will restart the apps you've selected the next time you logon to the computer.
Cache My Work is great for occasions when you need to unexpectedly reboot, such as on "Patch Tuesday", after installing new drivers, or when Windows runs out of Desktop Heap, Handles or GDI Objects (which happens more often than I'd like - even with the fixes described here).

If you're like me, you avoid rebooting your computer because it means you'll forget what you were working on. Every time I have to reboot because of some install/uninstall/patch, invariably I forget half of what I was working on because I don't remember all the docs and apps I have to reopen (those 5-15 minutes between "shutdown all apps" and "logged in, Windows quieted down" are huge opportunities for me to be randomized and lose my short-term memory cache).
Home Page
Download

ewemoa:
you avoid rebooting your computer because it means you'll forget what you were working on. Every time I have to reboot because of some install/uninstall/patch, invariably I forget half of what I was working on because I don't remember all the docs and apps I have to reopen
-paarkhi (February 02, 2010, 01:41 AM)
--- End quote ---

Yes, I often feel this way too.

I hope this type of thing because incorporated into applications (support for restoring state -- e.g. open a file and position pointer to a particular location) and the os eventually.

BTW, lanux128 mentioned SmartClose in another thread -- perhaps it provides some similar functionality.

jaden:
I hope this type of thing because incorporated into applications (support for restoring state -- e.g. open a file and position pointer to a particular location) and the os eventually.

--- End quote ---

I agree.  Apps like Firefox, Notepad++ and iDailyDiary that already do this are so much nicer to use.

I tried Cache My Work and SmartClose, but ended up writing a short AutoHotKey script to launch the set of apps I usually have open at work.  It's easy to modify and FARR makes it a snap to run.

KynloStephen66515:
Does this software also cache the document you was working on (IE, auto re-load the last notepad document I had open, including all the text?) if so, I can stop having to fart around in msconfig for the software re-launches and having to save a file to my desktop to tell me what I had open before reboot.

jaden:
Nope, it just relaunches the applications.  If the app doesn't have auto-restore functionality (e.g. Notepad), you'll have to open the files you were working on manually.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version