ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

News and Reviews > Mini-Reviews by Members

Web-Browser Review: Opera 10.00

<< < (8/14) > >>

Tuxman:
Stephen acknowledged that it's not FireFox here-Darwin (February 03, 2010, 11:10 AM)
--- End quote ---
So why the second "F"?

I have NEVER seen Fx used anywhere as an acronym for Firefox.-Darwin (February 03, 2010, 11:10 AM)
--- End quote ---
http://www.mozilla.com/en-US/firefox/releases/1.5.0.5.html#FAQ

Darwin:
Yes, this is fine, tuxman, but you're missing the point entirely. A photocopier manufactured by Ricoh is a photocopier upon which one makes photocopies, not Xeroxes, no? Likewise, a paper tissue into which one blows one's nose is a tissue, not a Kleenex, and yet in the first instance people the world over refer to making Xeroxes and xeroxing and to carry around Kleenex. The "right and the wrong" of the terms is secondary to the way in which people have become accustomed to referring to products and categories of products. In the case of Firefox the preferred acronym, the correct acronym, is Fx but the reality is that people consistently reduce it to FF. I gather that you're trying to educate people about the correct acronym. Bravo! I have learned my lesson and henceforth shall endeavour to use Fx when I'm too lazy to write Firefox (most of the time), but this does not in any way alter the fact that the most commonly use acronym is FF.

Run a google search for FF and you'll find it in the top five hits as an acronym for Firefox. Type in Fx and It's not in the first 100 hits (that I could see)...

Tuxman:
So if 3 of 4 people say it wrong, wrong becomes right?

steeladept:
So if 3 of 4 people say it wrong, wrong becomes right?
-Tuxman (February 03, 2010, 11:31 AM)
--- End quote ---

When it comes to communication: Yes.

Remember, communication is just the art of passing ideas between people.  That can only occur when they agree on convention, whatever that convention is.  If you tell me it is wrong, but I don't understand you, then we are not communicating.  The fact that you understood FF as Firefox and not French Fries proves that you understood the convention and therefore communicated successfully. 

And for what it is worth, I have never heard of Fx as short for anything other than "Effects". 

Tuxman:
I understand that some people use "FF" for "Fire Fox", but I don't actually understand why they call Firefox "Fire Fox". "Firefox" are not two words, it is one word for one animal: The Red Panda.

:D

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version