topbanner_forum

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
  • Thursday March 28, 2024, 6:13 pm
  • Proudly celebrating 15+ years online.
  • Donate now to become a lifetime supporting member of the site and get a non-expiring license key for all of our programs.
  • donate

Last post Author Topic: Web-Browser Review: Opera 10.00  (Read 40378 times)

Josh

• Charter Honorary Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Re: Web-Browser Review: Opera 10.00
« Reply #50 on: February 03, 2010, 02:13 PM »
I honestly find the whole argument juvenille. Just my two cents. FF is the accepted term, proper or not. Arguing about it will not solve anything and is trivial given that the entire issue is a play on semantics and not really conducive to actual chat/debate about the original topic, Opera.

Tux, I realize you like to nit-pick, but come on. Let us get back to the original topic.

Tuxman

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #51 on: February 03, 2010, 02:17 PM »
Hm, I thought the topic was already discussed.  :D

Darwin

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #52 on: February 03, 2010, 02:36 PM »
The main things that always attracted me about Opera were speed and built-in features. I hear with 10.5 "pre-alpha" Opera once again takes the speed crown in all respects, not just regular browsing (i.e. javascript too).
http://www.betanews....-Chrome-5/1265150085
That's pretty exciting. Has anyone tried it?

- Oshyan

Yes, I have it installed and in fact it is the version that I tested against Fx (!), Chromium, IE8 and Safari. If only it supported Roboform... (sigh!).

JavaJones

• Review 2.0 Designer
  • Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #53 on: February 03, 2010, 02:45 PM »
Yes, that's a shame. There is always the Lastpass Bookmarklet, but I realize it's not an adequate solution. Stupid, stupid Opera devs! Their lack of extensions seems to be considered a "feature" (and not in the "bug we don't intend to fix" sense, but in the "we're proud of our lack of extensions" sense). Yeesh.

- Oshyan

Josh

• Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #54 on: February 03, 2010, 02:59 PM »
Does anyone get an "Applish" vibe when they think about opera?

Tuxman

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #55 on: February 03, 2010, 03:02 PM »
Most Opera lovers do, obviously.

JavaJones

• Review 2.0 Designer
  • Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #56 on: February 03, 2010, 03:06 PM »
Does anyone get an "Applish" vibe when they think about opera?
Not exactly. Certainly there are some similarities in the arrogance and efforts for platform control, but Apply is more savvy and cunning. Which might explain their much greater relative success. :D Perhaps as a result of that I dislike Apple a lot more than Opera. :P

Darwin

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #57 on: February 03, 2010, 04:12 PM »
Yes, that's a shame. There is always the Lastpass Bookmarklet, but I realize it's not an adequate solution. Stupid, stupid Opera devs! Their lack of extensions seems to be considered a "feature" (and not in the "bug we don't intend to fix" sense, but in the "we're proud of our lack of extensions" sense). Yeesh.

- Oshyan

My problem is that I have at least 200 passwords and, as a result of having used Roboform for the past 7 years, Most of them are unique, high security passwords that I don't have a hope of remembering! Thus, I am lost without Roboform. I've already exported my passwords to LastPass, but as you note, it's just not the same!

tomos

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #58 on: February 03, 2010, 04:54 PM »
precisely, although, this topic has created a bit of chat eh :P

;D ;D
Tom

NigelH

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #59 on: February 03, 2010, 05:59 PM »
Well, I wish Opera management would devote a smidgen of resources to beefing up the Wand. It could be so much better. I track passwords in Keypass then feed them to Opera for Wand storage as needed.

KynloStephen66515

• Animated Giffer in Chief
  • Honorary Member
  • Joined in 2010
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #60 on: February 04, 2010, 09:25 PM »
beef it up how exactly? it already has the ability to save username/passwords for every website your a member of, although I would like it if it would read captcha images for those websites that obsess over verification on login...

**edit**

Dunno if its useful to anybody, but just found out that 'https://online.roboform.com/bookmarklet' is compatible with Opera :)

https://online.roboform.com/bookmarklet
« Last Edit: February 04, 2010, 09:44 PM by Stephen66515 »

Josh

• Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #61 on: February 05, 2010, 04:42 AM »
The wand lacks in its ability to poorly manage multiple login names per site, the ability to edit stored passwords so you do not have to DELETE and then RECREATE your login in opera, and various other password field catching code. Yes, it can catch some sites, but sites like bank of america where you get a second prompt requires 2 separate logins for opera. I can do this in one fell swoop in roboform.

Also, the bookmarklet is nice for roboform but it is no roboform toolbar. Yes, it works ok, but it is slow and requires you operate online. In my profession, I use roboform in instances where a connection to the commercial internet is not possible. That is where roboform shines above all others. It allows me to operate in the environment of my choosing, how I want.

But yes, opera does have quite a bit of catch up to do on A LOT of their features. Most of their features are created so that opera can say "We did it first" and then left to stagnate. This has been proven time and time again where a new feature will be introduced and never touched again.

KynloStephen66515

• Honorary Member
  • Joined in 2010
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #62 on: February 06, 2010, 06:57 AM »
Also, the bookmarklet is nice for roboform but it is no roboform toolbar.

Ah, sorry, I don't actually use roboform myself so didn't understand its full workings so figured that the bookmarklet mmight of been some use to you.

I did find some info into how extensions and scripts are made on Opera though, maybe you will find it is an interesting read, although, if your anything like me, you will just give up with it after 2 minutes and go back to what you was doing.

http://dev.opera.com...a-plug-in-interface/

Josh

• Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #63 on: February 06, 2010, 07:32 AM »
Yes, that is for PLUGINS not EXTENSIONS. This plugin API allows content like flash and java to work with opera. It is not an EXTENSIONS API.

KynloStephen66515

• Honorary Member
  • Joined in 2010
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #64 on: February 06, 2010, 07:36 AM »
(Like in the other post) I didn't read the full document, it was labeled as Extensions and posted on the Opera website lol, figured I would trust their wording, maybe I wont be as trusting next time lol

Lutz_

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #65 on: February 27, 2010, 09:21 AM »
I am currently using the Opera 10.5 beta - and it has become my new favorite browser.  I previously used FF and then the Iron version of Chrome.  The Opera beta has been absolutely solid for me and shines with its responsiveness.  The best aspect is, the new design  gets-out-of-your-way nicely.  The space saving is especially appreciated on notebook screens but pleasant also on the desktop.
http://www.opera.com/browser/next/

(BTW, we have read it frequently before: still no extensions and no roboform [I don't need it]; other than that I am a very happy camper   :Thmbsup:).