ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

DonationCoder.com Software > Finished Programs

DONE: Faster boots combining hibernate and restart (Boot Snooze)

<< < (30/34) > >>

skwire:
If anybody is up for it, please give this test build a try.  It includes the auto-login feature.

http://skwire.dcmembers.com/apps/boot_snooze/BootSnooze_.zip

If auto-login is already enabled on your computer, this build won't offer anything new.  As I mentioned above the changes/logic are as follows:

1) Username and password fields have been added to Boot Snooze's main form with a checkbox for enabling auto-login.

2) If enabled, the requisite registry entries will be set just before shutdown.  DefaultUserName, DefaultPassword and AutoAdminLogon are the keys involved.  DefaultUserName is almost always already in place.

3) If enabled and after the reboot, Boot Snooze will immediately remove the DefaultPassword and AutoAdminLogon registry entries.  In other words, Boot Snooze will minimise the amount of time that a box is in AutoLogon-able state.

4) Boot Snooze does not save the username and password (even encrypted) in the config.ini file.  Yes, that does mean the user will have to enter it each time.  I'm open to discussion on this.

Command line support for this new option will come later.  If this works well for you testers, I'll promote it to the next release.

DONE: Faster boots combining hibernate and restart (Boot Snooze)

snark_be:
skwire, I tested it but auto-login did not work  :huh: . I'm running Windows 7 Ultimate 64-bits, maybe that's the cause (other registry keys?).
And when enabling auto-login in Boot Snooze, the username is not set to the current user by default.

mouser:
worked on winxp

skwire:
skwire, I tested it but auto-login did not work  :huh: . I'm running Windows 7 Ultimate 64-bits, maybe that's the cause (other registry keys?).
And when enabling auto-login in Boot Snooze, the username is not set to the current user by default.

-snark_be (March 18, 2010, 11:44 PM)
--- End quote ---
worked on winxp
-mouser (March 19, 2010, 04:43 AM)
--- End quote ---

Like mouser mentioned, it works on XP for me.  I don't have any Win7 systems with which to test on, unfortunately.

Lachlan:
Wouldn't it be easier to simply set the option to ask for a password when the PC comes out of standby (or hibernation)?
It's an inbuilt Windows function in the screensaver tab:

(Although it says "standby", it also applies to hibernation as well)

I know from experience that you can have autologon set, and Windows will still ask for a password when exiting standby or hibernation (with this option selected, obviously).
This wouldn't be very effective if someone just turned off the computer normally, next time it turned on it wouldn't ask for a password.

So the user would BootSnooze the PC, the PC restarts, automatically logs in, enters standby or hibernation, then when the PC is woken, it asks for a password.

This way BootSnooze would stay completely out of the realm of passwords and therefore make a lot more people comfortable with using it.
(I don't like the thought of entering my logon details into a third-party program)

One more thing, as I mentioned above, I use the autologon function, does BootSnooze check whether this setting was previously enabled before it removes it's autologon entry? I wouldn't like to re-enable autologon every time I BootSnooze.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version