ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > Living Room

HTML...In Britsh?

<< < (6/8) > >>

app103:
English is not a dead language. It is still evolving, both in the US and the UK, as well as anywhere else it is used. Local versions will exist that will vary from the original for much the same reason why there are different races of people on this planet...

They evolved that way.

Nobody on this planet currently uses the version of English that existed at the time of the American Revolution.

To prove my point, I refer to this excerpt of a British publication about the work of Benjamin Franklin, as it appeared when it was first printed, way back in 1751:

ben franklin.zip (1147.06 kB - downloaded 291 times.) (zipped pdf)

None of us spell like that any more, not in the US or the UK. We don't even seem to use the same alphabet as we did back then.

So, no more about who is spelling things right or wrong unless you have plans on ignoring over 250 years of language evolution and adopting the spellings that were in use in 1751 on BOTH sides of the ocean.

KynloStephen66515:
My original argument was not that Americans spell things wrongly, but, rather to rant that I would like for both variations of the English language to be recognized by all coding facilities.

app103:
My original argument was not that Americans spell things wrongly, but, rather to rant that I would like for both variations of the English language to be recognized by all coding facilities.
-Stephen66515 (February 04, 2010, 04:44 PM)
--- End quote ---

I know that but the discussion devolved into one of who is spells it right and who spells it wrong.

And it really irritates me to listen to this type of argument because it is both silly and insulting to both sides.

The truth is that either both versions of English are right or they both are wrong.

So I'd like to see an end to the insult flinging from both sides of the ocean and for us all to be a little more educated about it and realize evolution of languages does happen, and neither version is wrong.

KynloStephen66515:
--- End quote ---

I know that but the discussion devolved into one of who is spells it right and who spells it wrong.

-app103 (February 04, 2010, 04:55 PM)
--- End quote ---

As with most of my posts, we sorta went off topic lol

Eóin:
... to rant that I would like for both variations of the English language to be recognized by all coding facilities.
--- End quote ---

Why stop there though, what about other languages, how about synonyms of various keywords? The truth is as Tuxman pointed out, code is simply not a language in the classical sense of spoken or written languages.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version