ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > Living Room

HTML...In Britsh?

<< < (3/8) > >>

Tuxman:
I shall count my blessings that HTML was not invented by someone from Japan, China or any other eastern country.-Stephen66515 (January 29, 2010, 11:22 AM)
--- End quote ---
The WWW was invented in Switzerland, the computer was invented in Germany... so I guess you prefer talking German here?

Eóin:
... their version of 'English' the original, when it clearly is not-Stephen66515 (January 30, 2010, 11:51 AM)
--- End quote ---

Well actually my point was that prior to formalization neither was original and hence original doesn't apply.

Carol Haynes:
the computer was invented in Germany
-Tuxman (January 30, 2010, 05:39 PM)
--- End quote ---

Only if you mean calculating machines. The first 'modern' all-purpose computer was built during World War II at Bletchley Park in the UK to crack German enigma codes. It was called Colossus and was built by the British Post Office Electronics engineer Tommy Flowers.

The first genuinely theoretical computer scientist was Alan Turing (who also worked at Bletchely Park).

See:

http://www.bletchleypark.org.uk/content/machines.rhtm

and

http://www.alanturing.net/turing_archive/pages/Reference%20Articles/BriefHistofComp.html

(see the Universal Turing Machine a little way down the page).

Back on topic ...

I can't see why it would be impossible to have synonyms in HTML so that both color and colour are equivalent. That way people who learn English can use HTML without irritation and the Americans can carry on getting it wrong!

Tuxman:
OK, so back to the localized languages then. Good old Office 95 supported German macros.  :Thmbsup:

Darwin:
I can't see why it would be impossible to have synonyms in HTML so that both color and colour are equivalent. That way people who learn English can use HTML without irritation and the Americans can carry on getting it wrong!
-Carol Haynes (January 31, 2010, 09:10 AM)
--- End quote ---

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version