ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > Living Room

A simple "Start Page"

<< < (5/5)

Deozaan:
I use Google Chrome's new tab page as my "start" page. And finally I started using bookmarks again because of Chrome for two reasons:

1. My bookmarks are synchronized to all Chrome browsers.
2. I have it set up so that the bookmark bar only shows up on the new tab page.

zridling:
I use Google Chrome's new tab page as my "start" page....
2. I have it set up so that the bookmark bar only shows up on the new tab page.
-Deozaan (February 06, 2010, 06:49 PM)
--- End quote ---

That's a great idea. Never thought to do that. Thanks.

SKesselman:
Hmmmmmm, I wonder if there's a FF AddOn that searches the descriptions for when you forget the name of the site?  Like if you typed in Programming it would pop up all your bookmarks with the word or substring in the description.-MilesAhead (February 06, 2010, 12:45 PM)
--- End quote ---

Miles,
This thread seems a little over my head  :-[, so forgive me if your question is more complex than this:
If you are in FF, go to View, Sidebar, History & it has a search bar for you to type in your keywords.
Is this what you meant?

MilesAhead:
No, what I was thinking, since they are using a database format anyway for Bookmarks, you should be able to search on the little descriptions or keywords in the bookmarks database(maybe not that great an idea since I don't have them all filled in, but if this worked then I probably would make a point of it when I saved the Bookmark.)

Say I had a bookmark to a site(fictional) named Histerocity but I can never remember what it's named because I only go there once a year.  If the keywords or descriptions had the word collectables and I type in the keyword with some AddOn, it could pop up all the Bookmarks with that description/keyword.  I have no clue how to do FF AddOn programming.  I don't know how difficult it would be.

I have folders with most of my Bookmarks categorized but there's really more categories than room on the Personal Toolbar(and I've never seen a multiple row wrap hack that worked in FF like Opera has.)  There tends to be some overlap.  Like something could be Documentation but it's strictly Programming Documentation so it might be in either folder.

I guess the alternative would be to periodically export bookmarks as HTML and just load the page to search it.  That might be easier.

edit: for now I exported the bookmarks.html and made a bookmark to the file on disk.  I have to fill in more of the descriptions and keywords for it to be useful though.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[*] Previous page

Go to full version