ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > General Software Discussion

What would life be like without Windows?

<< < (7/7)

cranioscopical:
What it comes down to is that there is tremendous advantage in standardization mixed with accountability
-JavaJones (January 31, 2010, 02:06 AM)
--- End quote ---
Sure beats the days of fiddling around with, say, CP/M to configure the floppy drives to read a different dialect of CP/M, with a custom driver for every printer which costs the earth because the market segment is so small etc., etc.

zridling:
What it comes down to is that there is tremendous advantage in standardization mixed with accountability (even if that standard is only "de facto" and proprietary, and the accountability costs money). It's hard for the open source community, or even any myriad of smaller companies to offer that. Still, I'm quite curious to see how we'll move beyond MS. - Oshyan -JavaJones (January 31, 2010, 02:06 AM)
--- End quote ---

But that's been the very problem: standardization is fine as long as it is Microsoft's version of it. Web standards have been wildly successful despite Microsoft, who has fought them every step of the way (the reluctance to move off of IE6 is just one example). Because Microsoft wouldn't work with the Open Document Format, it created its own XML-based format and then spent two years politicizing it into a "standard" that's hardly found anywhere online or outside its suite. Microsoft has two choices in the next decade:  (1) move to a *nix-based OS,  or (2) become even more closed, and start developing proprietary hardware to run its software as Apple has done. It's no secret they have to drop the legacy baggage at some point.

Unless you're running MS Office, there are no compelling reasons to use the Windows OS. You can make the same arguments for running proprietary OSX. Even under Linux, I can run any version of Office if I had to. Everything else can be had via virtualization or is not needed, e.g., myriad security products. Assuming I'm not running MS Office, why pay for OS? One reason: because you want to.

As long as you're aware of the strings attached, that's perfectly fine.

wraith808:
<snip>
Unless you're running MS Office, there are no compelling reasons to use the Windows OS.
</snip>
-zridling (January 31, 2010, 07:18 PM)
--- End quote ---

Wrong... I can think of *several* compelling reasons other than the MS Office suite to use the Windows OS.  They might not be compelling to *you*, but that makes them no less compelling in my eyes.

JavaJones:
<snip>
Unless you're running MS Office, there are no compelling reasons to use the Windows OS.
</snip>
-zridling (January 31, 2010, 07:18 PM)
--- End quote ---

Wrong... I can think of *several* compelling reasons other than the MS Office suite to use the Windows OS.  They might not be compelling to *you*, but that makes them no less compelling in my eyes.
-wraith808 (January 31, 2010, 09:34 PM)
--- End quote ---

Heartily agreed. :D

- Oshyan

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[*] Previous page

Go to full version