ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > Living Room

Yea, I won't be getting an iPad anytime soon

<< < (9/14) > >>

Mandork:
iFlop, I suspect.

Deozaan:
And Google's response to iPad using the Chrome OS. Looks interesting.

http://dev.chromium.org/chromium-os/user-experience/form-factors/tablet
-zridling (February 02, 2010, 05:29 AM)
--- End quote ---

Google would have to call it the gString.

Tuxman:
Another idea Google stole from someone who has stolen it before.

steeladept:
there are other deal breakers for me -- the lock-in the apple application store is totally unacceptable and alone would make the device something i wouldn't want to get involved in.
-mouser (January 28, 2010, 10:25 AM)
--- End quote ---

While I am not an Apple fan at all, I did get an iPod Touch for free from a drawing.  I have found the device quite nice, and as to your problem with iTunes AppStore lockin, that just isn't true.  There are at least two major competitors that, while not sanctioned, are good alternatives that do not require iTunes or force you to go through Apple at all.  Cydia is the biggest and best.  They do require you to "Jail-break" your device, but it is a software update that can be reversed - at least most of the time (haven't tried it myself, so I am not sure what the pitfalls are).  It does void the Apple warranty, but if you are trying to avoid iTunes and the AppStore, then you really won't be taking part in any warranty issues anyway (most likely).  I expect the same to occur and work for the iPad since it is supposedly backward compatible with most or all iPhone apps already.

Just thought I would throw that out there for you.

EDIT:  Just thought to let you know, I don't send a penny of support to Apple either.  The device was free, and everything I have is from the AppStore, but it is only free software.  If it isn't free - it isn't on my system, period.  One day, I may "jailbreak" it and start buying through Cydia, but for now, I haven't had a real compelling reason. Also, many developers are comming up with ingenious ways around iStore policy.  They post it for free (so Apple doesn't get paid for it unless there is a charge to have it posted) and then have an in-app store, so you can buy directly without supporting Apple at all.  Haven't done that yet, but may well look into it if I find some decent software I want that uses this feature.  So far, nada.

pyrohacker:
For us lucky users of Chrome, there's now an extension that can duplicate the iPad experience on your computer, for free!

https://chrome.google.com/extensions/detail/ilejdkfldemlafkeebadjppfhdiimbfd

CubeMe by The Blue Cube
Experience the web the way Steve intended.
--- End quote ---

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version