ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > Living Room

Yea, I won't be getting an iPad anytime soon

<< < (2/14) > >>

mouser:
it will be interesting to me to see how well it sells.

i do see the gut-level appeal in a nice touch tablet -- and yet tablets have been around for many years and the practical use for them seems limited.

there are other deal breakers for me -- the lock-in the apple application store is totally unacceptable and alone would make the device something i wouldn't want to get involved in.

plus i'm holding out for a proper full-sized ebook reader with e-ink style display that is easy on the eyes.

wraith808:
iPad = Newton for the 21st century
-wraith808 (January 28, 2010, 08:01 AM)
--- End quote ---

Was the Newton a success?? I heard about it, never saw one, or even any reviews really (ok: I've obviously never looked either...)

-Perry Mowbray (January 28, 2010, 08:23 AM)
--- End quote ---

Nope.  And that's the point!  :D

wraith808:
plus i'm holding out for a proper full-sized ebook reader with e-ink style display that is easy on the eyes.
-mouser (January 28, 2010, 10:25 AM)
--- End quote ---

What do you think about the nook?

mouser:
I think we are in store for some really brilliant satire making fun of the iPad.  Here's one:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lQnT0zp8Ya4&feature=player_embedded

zridling:
@mouser: ohmygod, that's the funniest mash I've seen of that clip to date.

Alex Balk said:
This is a very rough analogy, but the iPad is a lot like Barack Obama: everyone was able to project their own fantasies and aspirations on a product with which they were mostly unfamiliar, only to sour on it once they realised that it did not live up to their impossible expectations. Only, with the iPad, it took about seven minutes for the disappointment to set in. I think this says something about our accelerated culture or how we confuse hype and excitement for the tangible realities of life. Our ability to trick ourselves into imagining that we'll get exactly what we want is being outpaced by the swiftness of our disgruntled reactions when things don't turn out how we planned.

Not even a good e-reader (you can't transfer your books!); a terrible "computer" if you're expecting that. (And no USB ports, no multitasking, only runs Apple apps and music bought from Apple, etc.) In Jobs' mind, the whole world pays him to even turn a computer on.

Gizmodo's '8 reasons to hate it' reaction:
http://i.gizmodo.com/5458382/8-things-that-suck-about-the-ipad

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version