ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > Living Room

External harddisk broken?

<< < (2/3) > >>

f0dder:
OK, at least not a complete dead disk, then... but it still sounds pretty bad. It could be just the filesystem that's damaged, but since you say trying to access the partition causes whirring things still sound pretty bad. Does the drive properties dialog come up immediately when you try to open it, or does it take several seconds with the drive whirring meanwhile?

does actually sound like "awful noises" to me - like a stuck read/write head arm.-f0dder
--- End quote ---
Is there a fix for this?-Ampa (January 27, 2010, 06:56 AM)
--- End quote ---
I've had success with tapping the drive (gently but firmly) with the head of a screwdriver... this is a last resort, and if it works you should copy data off your drive ASAP and expect it to die during the process or shortly after.

Let's hope it's not that bad, though.

mouser:
related thread on hard disk crashing and recovery here:
https://www.donationcoder.com/forum/index.php?topic=2870.0

4wd:
I've had success with tapping the drive (gently but firmly) with the head of a screwdriver... this is a last resort, and if it works you should copy data off your drive ASAP and expect it to die during the process or shortly after.-f0dder (January 27, 2010, 11:05 AM)
--- End quote ---

IMHO, it's also preferable to tap the ends of the HDD, (which is the aspect you usually have easy access to anyway), tapping the top or bottom is likely to have a head bounce off a platter.
And the ends rather than the sides because it should transmit more lateral movement to the heads to try and get them to move - but as f0dder said, a last resort.

Deozaan:
The drive does power up and spins without making any aweful noises, but when the OS tries to access it, merely cycles endlessly through a 4 or 5 second loop of whirs and clicks.
-Ampa (January 26, 2010, 10:46 AM)
--- End quote ---

This probably isn't useful, but I had a similar problem with a new SATA 2 HDD I bought. I plugged it in and it would just whir and click. It turns out I had to put the jumper on a specific setting for my non-SATA2 motherboard to recognize it.

Carol Haynes:
Sounds unlikely if it was working for a while and then packed up.

HAve you tried pugging it into another SATA port or another computer. I have had mobos with dodgy SATA sockets that work when they feel like it.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version