ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > Living Room

Book: Fifty Dangerous Things (You Should Let Your Children Do)

(1/4) > >>

mouser:
What I especially love about this book is how each thing is written up as an experiment that a child can do and record their notes on their experiments.  Love it.

Fifty Dangerous Things (you should let your children do) is the first book from the people who created Tinkering School. With projects, activities, experiences, and skills ranging from "Superglue Your Fingers Together" to "Play with Fire," along with 48 other great ideas, the book is a manifesto for kids and parents alike to reclaim childhood. Easy to follow instructions, fun facts, and challenging undertakings that will engage and inspire whole households... More importantly, there are many "dangerous" things that are interesting, eye-opening, enlightening or just plain fun! And while there are aspects of danger in virtually everything we do, the trick is to learn how mastery actually minimizes danger. Most of us learn how to walk without toppling over at a very young age, so that walking is no longer dangerous. Next we learn to negotiate stairs. Why stop there? Why not practice and become proficient at walking on the roof or walking on a tightrope?

--- End quote ---

http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/ASIN/0984296107/

MilesAhead:
If it was written by W. C. Fields #1 would be Play In Traffic.

VictorM:
I assume letting your kids make "friends" on Facebook is out of the question.

alivingspirit:
#1 is licking a 9 volt battery. Is this really so dangerous? My research says no.
#2 is playing in a hail storm. Again, not dangerous.
#3 somersault. Ok, I'm not buying this book.

Shades:
[dark humor]

According to the index the list doesn't look to be that tame as people suggest.

However, what is the deal with nr 10? Is that 'playing with the vacuum cleaner' or '"playing" with the vacuum cleaner'?

But better yet, it would be better to let them experiment several of the items at once. Like (19)standing on a roof from a building with a lot of public (29) wearing your self-made sparking flying machine (24) falling into a dumpster (33) that is filled with gasoline (45) and glass (47).

Nah, I would finish the book way too fast...like maybe two or three regular Friday nights or so.  :P

P.S.
Hmm, maybe I finish it at once if could borrow someone else's kids  ;)

[/dark humor]

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version