ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > General Software Discussion

Generic Card/Board Game Prototyping and Playtesting Tools

<< < (2/6) > >>

mouser:
I don't want to playtest with other people in a multi-player environment, but rather on my own
--- End quote ---

good point -- it needs to be able to let you playtest it as a single developer, with two windows, one for each player, showing that player's view.

it must be quick to change.
--- End quote ---
this is definitely a drawback of almost every system i've looked at.

parkint:
I love this train of thought!
First, let me say that I am a huge board-gamer.  Much of my spare time is spent playing board games (and card games) with my wife and, often, our adult children and their spouses.

I have been tinkering with DXStudio for a number of different purposes.  But, one oustanding idea has been to build PC games with a 'board game' feel.  In other words, turn-based play where decisions must be made as opposed to the popular "run around and shoot anything that comes in sight".

For the 'layout of assets' and testing without gameplay rules, I think the GUI toolset in the editor of DXStudio would work well.

If you venture over to their site you will see that I am very active in the forums and the wiki.

mouser:
sounds like we might be rounding up a group of people here who could be interested in participating in this project eventually.  :up:

Ampa:
As a side note to the conversation, I am pretty much convinced that as surface computing makes its way into our homes and lives there will be a resurgence of interest in playing table-top games.

All the pros of a real boardgame (social interaction face to face) but none of the cons (lost pieces, bent cards, misprinted rules etc).

So the time is ripe for a great development tool.

good point -- it needs to be able to let you play-test it as a single developer, with two windows, one for each player, showing that player's view.-Mouser
--- End quote ---

Not just two windows, I think it must cater for games of any reasonable number - certainly up to 5 or 6.

mouser:
I think you are right about the future of table-top gaming with regards to the surface-like touch screen tables, and also the coming 3d/holographic projection tables.
It would be EXTREMELY fun to get a running start at producing a toolset that could be used for such things.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version