ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Other Software > Developer's Corner

What's your *favorite* programming language and *why* ?

<< < (3/9) > >>

Tuxman:
Without a doubt C++ because

* it's absolutely everywhere.
* there are libraries availible for everything.
* compiles to native code.
* when you start using modern C++ libraries like Boost you feel like you've truly moved away API and c-runtime coding and are actually working in a high level abstraction layer.
* when you get into some of the really advanced template stuff like DSELs (eg phoenix2) you begin to see the amazing power of the language.-Eóin (January 26, 2010, 12:38 PM)
--- End quote ---
ACK.

mouser:
I can't say I have a favorite language at this point.. If you had asked me 10 years ago I would have said C++.  I still use C++ more than any other language, and have used it for over two decades now.  But I can't bring myself to say it's my favorite language because i've spent the last decade looking for a replacement language that I could really fall in love with, and still haven't found one.

Stoic Joker:
I can't say I have a favorite language at this point.. If you had asked me 10 years ago I would have said C++.  I still use C++ more than any other language, and have used it for over two decades now.  But I can't bring myself to say it's my favorite language because i've spent the last decade looking for a replacement language that I could really fall in love with, and still haven't found one.
-mouser (January 26, 2010, 11:48 PM)
--- End quote ---
Not to mention you aspire to create your own programming language, which kinda puts you in a slightly different category (league) than (most of) the rest of us... :)

For me C++ is a definite hands down favorite. I get cranky if I have to code in anything else.

slowmaker:
Can 'favorite' apply even if I don't still program in the language? If so, Euphoria would definitely be my answer. I don't actually code in it anymore, but it was my go-to language for essentially everything for many years, and still would be if it weren't for a handful of things that really have little to do with the core language.

Clean syntax, interpreter ease of development, translate to C compilation for faster run, custom type-checking routines, error messages that actually make sense, that lovely sequence data type, mmmmm :-*. Euphoria was one of the few languages I felt I could actually 'think' in, it fit me so well.

If the 'favorite' label isn't allowed for a language I don't use anymore, then I guess PureBasic would be my current fav. My feelings about it are kind of like mouser's for C++, though; I like it a lot, but it's still just the thing that meets my goals better than anything else at the moment. I'm still on the lookout for something that will really knock my socks off the way Euphoria did years ago, but no luck so far... :(

Armando:
If the 'favorite' label isn't allowed for a language I don't use anymore [...]
-slowmaker (January 27, 2010, 10:00 AM)
--- End quote ---

But of course it is !

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version