ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > Living Room

I hate Valentine's Day!

<< < (4/9) > >>

zridling:
Carol has outed me, so I'll come clean. I simply dislike all holidays. I don't even like Christmas! (Though I will acknowledge Festivus.) There are just too many for every role that a person has. Guess I should lighten up.  :D

Darwin:
Easter (all about bunnies and eggs for some reason)
-Carol Haynes (January 22, 2010, 07:19 PM)
--- End quote ---

Wonder no more, Carol!

Why do we associate chicks and eggs with church doctrine? Why do we color Easter eggs and arrange them carefully in Easter baskets? We're glad you asked.
The Easter holiday dates back to a pagan holiday called Ostara, a holiday dedicated to the Anglo-Saxon goddess of spring and fertility. Over time, language changes changed the spelling (and pronunciation) from Ostara to Easter. Legend has it that Ostara, wanting to please some children, changed her pet bird into a rabbit; the rabbit then laid colored eggs for the children. The children wove birds' nests out of grass and put the colored eggs inside. Then, the children continued the ritual yearly, thinking that having colored eggs in the baskets brought good luck.
--- End quote ---

Finally, I've found another use for the practice reading comprehension passages in the SSAT Prep Book that I use with my students!

Darwin:
How about a day for sad and depressed singles?

It all really annoys me - Christmas (nothing to do with Christianity), Easter (all about bunnies and eggs for some reason), Valentines Day (aka commercial and sick making crap day), Mothers Day (bastardised regligious day), Fathers Day ('cos mothers had one and Dad's felt left out).

When's my F*****G day?-Carol Haynes (January 22, 2010, 07:19 PM)
--- End quote ---

In South Korea they cater to everyone, they have Red day (Feb. 14), White day (March 14) and Black Day (April 14):

Red day: guys take gals they like out
White day: gals take guys they like out
Black day: those who were not asked out go out and eat Chajang-myun, which is Korean-Chinese food (black bean sauce with vegetables over noodles).

I've probably bungled that a bit, but that's the essence, anyway...

tomos:

I lived in US (New England) for a year with an american family - on valentines day they made cards (no bought cards!) for parents & grandparents (& possibly for friends as well - it was years ago so no longer 100% sure) - I thought it was really nice & presumed it was typical for over there, but reading this thread that doesn't seem to be the case...

Darwin:
I lived in US (New England) for a year with an american family - on valentines day they made cards (no bought cards!) for parents & grandparents (& possibly for friends as well - it was years ago so no longer 100% sure) - I thought it was really nice & presumed it was typical for over there, but reading this thread that doesn't seem to be the case...
-tomos (January 24, 2010, 03:45 AM)
--- End quote ---

Can't speak for the US... Oh crap, who am I kidding? I can - we're inundated with American advertising and television - ANY holiday, on either side of the border, is crass, commercial, devoid of its original context... Valentine's cards, candy, and advertising were in the stores here (western Canada) by the first week of January. The two biggies, though, are Christmas and Easter.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version