ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > General Software Discussion

AVAST! 5 released

<< < (6/8) > >>

Tuxman:
You see? - Of course every AV program has some signature failures at times, but after all avast was disappointing. Of course it might be just my personal experience.

:D

Cyeb:
Ah, I hate avast.  I've recently switched, though I'm not very sure about my current one either...Avast tried to make it "appealing" to the more inexperienced, what with the funky skins and speaking after every time it updated.  Then I read a few reviews about how low it's detection rates are.  And THEN it crashed my computer every time it updated.  That was the last straw, and I got rid of it.  Did I mention that I hate it?

Here's the review about it's low detection rates:  http://www.pcworld.com/reviews/product/324711/review/alwil_avast_48_professional_edition.html  only that was version 4.8.  I'm not sure how version 5 performs, but it's doubtful that it's any better.

Carol Haynes:
AVAST seems to get rated on pretty highly on detection rates in comparative reviews and scores well on false positives too. I too used NOD32 for a long time and I have to say I have had fewer false positives with AVAST.

The new GUI isn't perfect but it is a huge improvement on the old one and certainly better than NOD32's which is a bit of a sprawling mess.

mrainey:
Other than two or three false positives, avast! has given me outstanding service over the past five years.  I don't mind the GUI, once I've disabled the skin and sound effects.

Bamse:
I think Symantec dude was hired to move Avast up in Symantec, Mcafee etc. class. Now they compare products, line them up, encourage you to go Pro/Suite - same old trick AVG has taken to new levels. "For on-line shopping and banking, upgrade to avast! Internet Security." must be there :)

They also run a pretty active blog now. Even the beta was approved to be in Google pack. More aggressive marketing perhaps. "Get Chrome with Avast" also counts http://blog.avast.com/2009/12/03/avast-and-google-chrome/

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version