ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > General Software Discussion

AVAST! 5 released

<< < (5/8) > >>

mrainey:
I'm a long-time avast! fan, but this little bit of news got my attention.  It's influencing me to wait an extra week or two before upgrading.

"ALWIL Software, the developers of avast!—probably the world’s most popular antivirus product—today announced that Vince Steckler has joined the company as CEO. Previously, Vince served as senior vice-president of consumer sales at Symantec, the world’s largest producer of security software."

http://www.avast.com/news

Carol Haynes:
Hmmm - I suppose he used to work at Symantec so it may not be as bad as it sounds  :-\

cyberdiva:
Two days ago, I upgraded from Avast 4.8 to Avast 5 free on my Windows7 netbook.  As soon as I did so, I was unable to access the Internet!  I tried several things, and disabling Outpost Firewall Pro gave me back my Internet access.  I went through several scenarios, including uninstalling Avast5 free and reenabling Outpost Firewall (this, too, permitted me to access the Internet).  Today, I tried again to install Avast5 free, and again I found myself unable to access any web sites.  I should add that I did NOT have this problem between Outpost Firewall Pro and Avast 4.8.  Anyway, I decided for the time being to uninstall Avast 5 free and install Microsoft Security Essentials.  That seems to be working, but I'd really prefer to be using Avast 5  :( .  I've sent messages to the Avast and Outpost forums to see whether I can get any insight into what the problem is and what if anything I can do about it.

Tuxman:
I switched from avast! to NOD32 about a year ago, disappointed by its detection rate, its awful GUI and its false positives. I really doubt they fixed it all in v5.

cyberdiva:
Hi, Tuxman.  That's strange, since one of the things I really like about Avast is that I've had NO false positives.  I don't tend to get much malware, and just about all the "findings" that various security programs have produced in the last few years have been false positives.   

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version