ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > General Software Discussion

AVAST! 5 released

<< < (3/8) > >>

Lashiec:
Did a clean install today, just finished configuring it a few minutes ago. It's still too soon to tell if there's any drawback under the hood, but the first impressions of its behaviour are positive. Much better UI, with all tools centralized in a single location, instead of being separated like before, and drastically reduced memory usage. A couple of things seems to be missing in comparison with version 4.8, namely URL blocking (let's be fair, nobody used it), and indications on the system tray when the program is getting updates. IMO this is a big loss, because notification boxes are fairly invasive for such info.

BTW, for the fans of avast! voiceovers, those are still present, and thinking in the sanity of the rest of the world, Alwil has provided us with simple notifications sounds as well.

Bamse:
Avast 5 is not free for business or anything smelling of business

URL blocking is now in the firewall or Internet Suite. Doubtful if anyone used it but how about Avast? ;) Is 2010 but blocking IPs is still a very effective way of protection against web crap. Why Malwarebytes now have IP blocking for example. They can't keep up and mainly focus on what is not covered by normal AVs already. So useful it must be a premium feature. Avast is not like AVG but of course they need arguments for users to jump at Pro or the Suite. Good deal as it is.

Another new feature is password protection of settings. Perfect for those who look after family computers :) They get UAC like prompt if they feel like tinkering.

Carol Haynes:
Where did you get the quote from?

Avast 5 does not have a "Home Edition" any longer - it is called "AVAST! 5 Free".

On the website there is still the old registration page for version 4 but it is not used in Version 5.

Interestingly when you run the installer there is no license agreement to agree with and there is no reference to the lices in the Program install folder or in the application itself.

Lashiec:
OK, found the first serious bug within the program. As I was sitting here, checking up the news, and enjoying some nice music, I noticed that from time to time, the music started to sound scratchy, which doesn't make any sense, as is played directly from the hard disk. As the dropouts took place when I loaded new pages, and the avast! icon was spinning while doing so, I concluded the antivirus was causing the dropouts, which is exactly what happens. Though avast! can do better, I wonder why the hell µTorrent is so damn incompatible with security software.

EDIT: Hell, µTorrent isn't causing this, it's avast! alone. Damn it...

Bamse:
Sounds like good old web scanner mess. Avast Web Shield has been one of the better though. Conflict with firewall or other part dealing with net traffic. 99% chance you see similar problems at their forum.

Well may be they have made Avast 5 free for business and just forgot to edit FAQ and design web page ;) http://support.avast.com/index.php?_m=knowledgebase&_a=viewarticle&kbarticleid=36 License stuff has not changed. Those with old keys can use them in Avast 5. So businesses who bought 4.8 Pro should throw it away and go Avast 5 Free since it is better and now legal? Or wonder about what they have been paying for now everyone get it for free? Would not go down well.

http://forum.avast.com/index.php?topic=48375.0 so they had since September 09 to be crystal clear. Scroll down to Vlk who work for Avast.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version