ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > General Software Discussion

AVAST! 5 released

<< < (2/8) > >>

Carol Haynes:
AVAST doesn't auto update from version 4 to 5 (even in English). You need to download version 5 and run the installer. It automatically removes version 4 before installing.

Not sure on the new license details but version 4 clearly stated the free version was for home/non-commercial use only but the version 5 free version just says it is free and as far as I can find makes no mention of non-commercial restrictions.

Seems to install quickly and smoothly on Windows XP (haven't tried yet on Vista and 7) and runs unobtrusively.

The UI has been simplified and the silly 'VHS style' interface has finally disappeared. The tray icon(s) have been reduced to a single icon.

All the features of version 4.8 seem to be still there but they say it has been re-written.

Only time will tell if it is as successful as version 4 has been but my initial impressions are that it is worth a go.

It now has a silent gaming mode which allows you to use full screen applications without interruption by prompts or notifications and you can turn it to silent mode even for desktop apps for periods or time or permanently (though why you would want to beats me).

My only niggle (which is carried over from version 4) is that the 'exclusions' list doesn't seem to work properly - ie. if you add a folder to the exceptions list it should ignore the folder contents both in scan but also realtime monitoring. Unfortunately it still blocks applications in the excluded folders when you try to run them. (I have a couple of tools that are classified as 'Trojan/gen' despite reporting false positives and I can't use them even with the exceptions list without completely disabling the AV software!)

Bamse:
Speaking of excluding notice they have Firefox sessionstore.js excluded per default. But only work if profile is in default folder arrangement.

*\firefox\profiles\*sessionstore*.js

for me that is no good since I don't have a firefox folder so must change to

*\profile\*sessionstore*.js

Is profile and not profiles. Don't know why. Since Firefox is a problem why not something else? May be wise to check their forum next week or so.

Can't find that balloon pop up there was in 4, letting you see what was scanned in real-time. Now only "last file scanned" under each shield.

Think I read 4.8 will auto-update to 5 but not right now since they need to have servers in place. What "exclusively on download.com until 22. January" means I guess. Or is that promotion? May be an attempt to play it safe as it must be easier to recover good relations with a handful of millions than many ;) If you have set 4.8 to ask for permission for update program then you can refuse. Don't know how long they will support old version.

tomos:
the version 5 free version just says it is free and as far as I can find makes no mention of non-commercial restrictions.
-Carol Haynes (January 21, 2010, 03:57 AM)
--- End quote ---

ooohh that would be nice :)

SKA:
My only niggle (which is carried over from version 4) is that the 'exclusions' list doesn't seem to work properly - ie. if you add a folder to the exceptions list it should ignore the folder contents both in scan but also realtime monitoring. Unfortunately it still blocks applications in the excluded folders when you try to run them. -Carol Haynes (January 21, 2010, 03:57 AM)
--- End quote ---

Carol , does this work for you :
To allow avast! to ask you what to do when a virus/PUP/suspicious file  is found:
change action settings of avast!, which is set to block by default.
1. Open avast! GUI   
2. Click REAL-TIME SHIELDS [on left side of GUI]
3. Click File System Shield
4. Click Expert Settings [on right side of GUI]
5. Click Actions [on the left side of the new FILE SYSTEM SHIELD SETTINGS window that popped up]
6. Change first dropdown box to Ask [under Select action to be performed when a virus is found] , You can also specify some backup actions.
Repeat Step #6 for PUP(potentially unwanted programs)  and Suspicious files

SKA

Carol Haynes:
Thanks but no it doesn't help. The only way to get that to work is to set the action on all three to no action - at which point I may as well uninstall the AV altogether.

If you set the first option to ASK it does that but the only options it gives are Delete/Repair/Move to Chest - there is no ignore option.

UPDATE:

You can exclude files/folders from active shields and manual scans.

Go To Real Time Shields
Select File System Shield on the left
Select Expert Settings
Select Exclusions and add the files/folders

I tried doing this in the Exclusions list in the main settings tree but from there it doesn't seem to work.

Setting the exclusions from File System Shield has the desired effect.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version