ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Other Software > Developer's Corner

Like gitHub, but better

<< < (3/3)

parkint:
My rough understanding of the idea being presented is (assuming you have git installed locally):

Set Up
Get Dropbox account (on their service) and client installed (on your local machine)
You now have some local folder which gets synced automatically w/ the Dropbox service
Create your git repositories within/under the folder in question (can be shared via the Dropbox service w/ other users)

Use
Use git as usual(?)

Does that sound about right?
-ewemoa (January 23, 2010, 02:35 AM)
--- End quote ---

Yes. That is a very good characterization (Reader's Digest Condensed Version) of the video presentation.
Dropbox is a free service.  As you said, your 'local' folders are synchronized with their server.  All data is stored in encrypted form.  You have control over sharing of any folders.  The data is under version control and Dropbox allows you to revert to previous versions - a bit redundant and unnecessary in this particular application.

Because git is file-based, the repository can be stored in one of these Dropbox folders.  As has been mentioned, where you traditionally "push" your updates (commits and branches) to a server - in a client-server relationship - this schema I outlined in the video allows you to utilize the Dropbox in place of a traditional server.

The services available for "server-based" git repositories, like github, cost money (with github you can host for free but it remains public).
The schema presented in the video uses all free facilities.

ewemoa:
Does that sound about right?
-ewemoa (January 23, 2010, 02:35 AM)
--- End quote ---

Yes.
-parkint (January 23, 2010, 05:13 PM)
--- End quote ---

Thanks for checking :)

I haven't thought it through much but it occurs to me that the presented idea might be adaptable to some non-git things too.  For example, perhaps it might work for Mercurial?

steeladept:
DOH!  Ignore this post.  I meant to post in a different thread.  It was supposed to go to this thread.

kyrathaba:
I use the free package at http://beanstalkapp.com/, in conjunction with Tortoise SVN, for backing up my C# projects.  Works simply, quickly, and was a breeze to setup.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[*] Previous page

Go to full version