ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Other Software > Developer's Corner

Like gitHub, but better

<< < (2/3) > >>

f0dder:
One thing I really like about a traditional (usually-)server-based VCS like subversion is that once I commit, I know that I have a "backup" of my source code on the server... and since I work on multiple machines, having some centralized repository (and keeping it up to date!) is vital as well.

I've considered looking into distributed VCS, though - sometimes I need to do work where I don't have access to my centralized repo, and it'd be nice to still be able to do commits. Also, when I eventually open-source fSekrit, I'd really like to keep the repository on my own server, but push changes from there to a public repo (and only allow read-only access to the public repo). I've been recommended SVK in the past (by tinjaw iirc), but never had time (or enough incentive :)) to look at it.

Ah well, a general discussion of VCS is probably best suited for another thread.

parkint:
I don't disagree with you, F0dder.  And every tool should be used for its specific strengths.
For open-source (public, read-only access) projects git seems to be gaining popularity quickly.
In the scenario you described, the ability to distribute "patches" as an email attachment is a handy feature in git.

This is not a general discussion about Version Control systems (is it CVS or VCS or both?)

As my 'entry' to this group, I wanted to make a contribution.  And so, the video is my first showpiece.
Thank you for the warm welcome (and intellectual banter) to this group.

f0dder:
This is not a general discussion about Version Control systems (is it CVS or VCS or both?)-parkint (January 22, 2010, 08:14 AM)
--- End quote ---
Sorry for doing a potential topic hi-jack :-[. Anyway, VCS=Version Control Systems (generic term), CVS=Concurrent Versions System (specific (and horrible) product).

I'll see if I can find the time to watch your video a bit later today - and welcome onboard :)

ewemoa:
Being unfamiliar w/ Dropbox, I visited Wikipedia and found the following text:

The Dropbox client enables users to drop any file into a designated folder that is then synced to the web and to any other of the user's computers with the Dropbox client. Files in the Dropbox folder may then be shared with other Dropbox users or accessed from the web. Users may also upload files manually through a web browser.

--- End quote ---

My rough understanding of the idea being presented is (assuming you have git installed locally):

Set Up
Get Dropbox account (on their service) and client installed (on your local machine)
You now have some local folder which gets synced automatically w/ the Dropbox service
Create your git repositories within/under the folder in question (can be shared via the Dropbox service w/ other users)

Use
Use git as usual(?)

Does that sound about right?

Eóin:
I use git all the time. Mostly I use it in the server-client role in the sense that I'm always push my work to a server through ssh and all the other machines just pull and push from that. But the ability to continue working even if offline is a huge bonus.

Also if anyone has tried to manage branches or merges with say CVS or subversion you'll be in for a treat with git, it's just so intuitive how it works.

Finally anyone using git on Windows, I'd highly recommend using TortoiseGit with it, it's a joy to use.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version