ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Other Software > Developer's Corner

Like gitHub, but better

(1/3) > >>

parkint:
I am very proud of this idea.
I created a video that explains how to create your own remote git instance, without a server (no web hosting required) for FREE.
No fuss.  You can control access to multiple repositories.  Better than gitHub.  Better than Unfuddle.
Check out the video.

I encourage comments.

EDIT: A more detailed description is located further down in this thread.

mouser:
This looks really interesting.. going to watch it in full now.. since i haven't used Git i'd really like to hear more from people who do.

I think having a video demonstrating the idea is wonderful, but maybe you could tell us the main ideas in a paragraph or two as well here, just to lay the ground work while we are watching?

Ehtyar:
Mouse Man, if you're still on Windows exclusively, don't bother unless yuo're willing to use it under a POSIX-like emulation layer (msys or Cygwin atm).

Ehtyar.

parkint:
The Windows "emulation" (MsysGit) is quite good.  It is used in much of the video.
For anyone who is unfamiliar with git, I would like to say this:

*   git is unlike other CVS (subversion, sourcesafe, etc) and it can be a bit intimidating.
*   In order to use git properly you need to let go of any old habits from SVN or Subversion
*   After using them all, I honestly believe git is better.  The strength comes from the fact that it is primarily 'local' and file-based.  At first that sounds like a limitation, but is really quite an outstanding strength.I will not try to describe git here because there are numerous resources on the web.  My first recommendation is this great blog entry, followed by ProGit (free book online).

Traditionally, in order to use git with remote access you need nothing more than a Linux server (most free/cheap hosting) with SSH access and an instance of git installed.  There are a few places, like github, where you can store repositories for free as long as they are public.  I had some stuff I wanted to keep to myself - yet needed to collaborate with other developers.
This video demonstrates a method I devised whereby you can HAVE IT ALL and PAY NOTHING.

Thank you for your feedback.

Ehtyar:
I use msys and Cygwin both on a weekly basis. They're both perfectly usable if all you want is an interactive terminal, but for automated use or scripting they're slow, bloated and a pain in the arse to work around.

You are correct, however, that distributed VCS has some advantages over server-based ones in certain situations, though I wouldn't consider the benefits worth trading in native platform support for. Some distributed VCS with native cross platform support include Bazaar, Mercurial, darcs (though there are no "official" windows binaries), and SVK (based off of Subversion).

Ehtyar.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version