ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > General Software Discussion

Ready Boost?

<< < (3/3)

cmpm:
Windows ReadyBoost: does give a bit better performance on really low-memory systems, if the USB drive is fast enough.
--- End quote ---

Yes, thanks f0dder, that's what I've been hearing from all sources on the net.
Right now the cost of more memory is too high for me. Money needed for other things.
Although that could change soon. But I'm not sure if this old laptop will last anyway.
It's an old Acer 3500, which works fine, but if something goes wrong, I'm upgrading to a better laptop since this one is single core (probably slows it more then the memory) when the money is right.

Darwin:
f0dder - my experience now and a year ago when I last ran it are pretty much in accord with your views. I *think* eBoostr *might* be useful on XP or Win2k systems with USB 2.0 ports and fast USB drives in the same way that Ready Boost is useful on low powered Vista and Windows 7 machines. If I had USB 2.0 ports on my Win 2k machine (512MB RAM) I'd test this hypothesis, but sadly, I do not... Of course, this supposes that Win2k would benefit from more than 512MB RAM - I've never had a problem with Win2k on this configuration, but then I'm not running any memory intensive software, other than Office 2003.

At any rate, to reinforce my comment from my last post: eBoostr doesn't do anything that I can see on a system with "adequate" amounts of RAM installed (to paraphrase those old Bentley commercials  :D).

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[*] Previous page

Go to full version