ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > General Software Discussion

Just discovered a HUGE annoyance in Windows 7

<< < (3/13) > >>

tranglos:
Haven't missed the UAC one bit since disabling it.
-nite_monkey (January 17, 2010, 03:00 PM)
--- End quote ---

When you do miss it it'll be too late.
-Eóin (January 17, 2010, 03:22 PM)
--- End quote ---

You know, I've never missed it on XP, either.

I have decided to disable UAC after finding the problem with FARR and other system-wide hotkeys. This was just the little straw that broke this camel's back. It's utterly brain-deadly stupid to halt or cripple regular, non-threatening, configured system features simply because a UAC-flagged window has focus.

tranglos:
Worse, apps are often unable to write to my own folders on the secondary, non-system hdd, where I keep all my data: access denied. These are folders where I do my work. -tranglos (January 17, 2010, 09:31 AM)
--- End quote ---

That's just a permissions issue, make sure the Users group has write access through the Security tab in the harddisk properties.
-Eóin (January 17, 2010, 03:47 PM)
--- End quote ---

It does not seem to be "just" a permissions issue, Eóin, or permissions in 7 are seriously screwed up. There should be no issue to begin with. We are talking about a drive full of data that was present when 7 was installed. Surely the user account which installed the system should have full access to local drives present at the time of installation? Yet folders on that drive are now owned by some invalid, nonexistent account, designated only as a GUID number, which cannot be managed or deleted - it's just a ghost on the security tab in folder properties.

For some folders I have been able to fix it the way you describe. In some cases however, the operation is halted half-way through due to some other "insufficient permissions" error and there is no way to continue then. I have found out that what works is copying (not moving) the files from my old folders to new ones on the same drive. These newly created folders are now "owned" by me; then I can delete the originals.

cmpm:
Maybe this will help, I haven't tried it though.

http://www.nirmaltv.com/2010/01/04/take-ownership-of-files-in-windows-7/

tranglos:
Some more...

Win+Up to maximize a window; Win+Down to minimize it. Great idea - so great in fact, that it had been implemented left and right by tweaking apps (Actual Window Manager or your favorite AutoHotkey script) before Microsoft came up with it. No problem.

Except that MS have managed to dumb down even this little thing and make it unusable. I knew 7 had this feature, so I disabled these shortcuts in AWM. Turns out, the way Win+Down works in Win7 is that if the window is maximized, Win+Down "restores" it first, and only minimizes on the second press. When you then restore the application, you restore it to the "restored" state, not the maximized state.

No matter how large the screen, I maximize most applications that I tend to spend a lot of time in; otherwise there's too much graphical distraction: Word, Firefox, etc. So the behavior of Win+Down is really inconvenient for me: first I have to press it twice to get the desired effect (minimize app), and then I have to manually maximize the window when restoring it. And of course there doesn't seem to be a way to configure the Win shortcuts in Windows.

It didn't seem a big issue, since Actual Window Manager should be able to override the Win+Up/Down features with its own shortcuts. Autohotkey can override anything Windows assigns to the Win key combos, so AWM should as well. Alas, I'm finding that Windows won't let go of those shortcuts, so I'm stuck with the unwanted, un-useful behavior.

Won't be stuck much longer though. Before the dawn breaks I'm going back to XP. It's going to be a big day!

tranglos:
Maybe this will help, I haven't tried it though.

http://www.nirmaltv.com/2010/01/04/take-ownership-of-files-in-windows-7/
-cmpm (January 17, 2010, 04:07 PM)
--- End quote ---

Thanks! I actually saw that blog post in Google Reader when it was written. At the time I was collecting interesting Win7 posts and threads for later reference, but I thought nah, why would I need to "take ownership" of my own old data? What problem could I have with ownership? I really thought just that, and decided not to bookmark that post...

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version