ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > General Software Discussion

Just discovered a HUGE annoyance in Windows 7

<< < (12/13) > >>

shobazi:
I have been installed windows 7 many times in my laptop - but i never faced such type of problems..

4wd:
Backup the settings and give that method a try and let us know if it makes any difference.-Carol Haynes (January 20, 2010, 02:26 AM)
--- End quote ---

It's now down to around 15-25 seconds but added the need to enter a username/password to connect, (even for an Everyone share) - so it got removed, (the last thing I want on LAN night is to be bombarded with: "I can't access that directory!" or "What's the user/password?", when I'm busy trying to get that last enemy in OFDR or CoD-MW2.

It's also not just on initial share listing, if I go into a shared folder and then return to the parent, (\\computername), it'll take the same amount of time to list all the shares again - I thought it would have cached them?

EDIT: Just as a matter of interest, could someone using DOpus on Win7 tell me if the "Share with" context menu works?
Here it works under Explorer but not DOpus but as yet I haven't looked into possible causes.

Carol Haynes:
[/b] added the need to enter a username/password to connect, (even for an Everyone share)
-4wd (January 20, 2010, 07:00 PM)
--- End quote ---

That is probably a setting in the Network and Sharing Center in Windows 7 which is set by default- Just turn off password protected sharing.

4wd:
Just turn off password protected sharing.-Carol Haynes (January 21, 2010, 03:58 AM)
--- End quote ---

It was turned off on both Public and Home or Work, (and still is).  Maybe I'll have to do a Install in Place, (can you still do that with Win7), and start from near scratch.

On another note:

Win7's Power Options->Balanced settings, I've changed the Sleep time to 1 hour, (30 minutes is just too short), and it goes into Sleep after 60 minutes of me doing nothing on the mouse/keyboard......but the majority of the time it does it regardless of what the PC is doing.

ie. I'll start a number of video encodes to be done overnight, CPU load is always 50-90% doing these.  Next morning I'll boot up the PC from Sleep to find it start to continue doing the encodes.

I always thought that Windows only went into Sleep mode when there was minimal CPU activity, (eg. 0-10%) ?

Carol Haynes:
I always thought that Windows only went into Sleep mode when there was minimal CPU activity, (eg. 0-10%) ?
-4wd (January 21, 2010, 05:35 PM)
--- End quote ---

AIUI it has always been to do with keyboard/mouse activity.

There is a utility on DC somewhere (Skrommel?) to simulate mouse movements every few seconds to avoid this.

UPDATE:

See LowToSleep at https://www.donationcoder.com/Software/Skrommel/index.html#LowToSleep

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version