ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > General Software Discussion

Win 7 XP Mode is Hardware-Dependent

<< < (3/5) > >>

mrainey:
I have a Centrino Duo T2450, which is listed by Intel as not supporting virtualization.  This is the report I get from Securable.  It's all a bit over my head.

Virtualization Locked Off

"This processor's advanced hardware support for virtualization has been disabled and "locked off" by some external influence - most likely by this system's BIOS as the system was booting. Since enabling hardware virtualization will allow faster and more secure virtual machines and their hosting operating systems to run at 100% full speed, you may wish to poke around in your system's BIOS to see whether you're able to find any references to "hardware virtualization" or "VMX", etc."

Carol Haynes:
Some CPUs have virtualization but it is disabled when they sell them as OEM CPUs to give retail CPUs (at a higher price) a marketing edge. This seems to have been common in the early days of hardware VM technology.

mrainey:
Thanks for the info.  I looked at my BIOS setup and didn't see anything that looked promising for enabling virtualization.  I can probably live without it.  :)

f0dder:
Some CPUs have virtualization but it is disabled when they sell them as OEM CPUs to give retail CPUs (at a higher price) a marketing edge. This seems to have been common in the early days of hardware VM technology.-Carol Haynes (January 18, 2010, 08:39 AM)
--- End quote ---
...and sometimes you have a CPU that should have virtualization support, but for some reason your BIOS vendor has chosen to disable the feature - I'm a victim of this with my laptop :(

Btw, if you don't run any virtualization software, it's a good idea to turn it off in your BIOS - rootkits installing themselves as hypervisor == nasty stuff.

Carol Haynes:
I'm a victim of this with my laptop :(
-f0dder (January 18, 2010, 02:01 PM)
--- End quote ---

Have you checked the mobo manufacturer for a generic BIOS (rather than the laptop specific BIOS) - you may find you can enable virtualization.

Check out how/if you can restore the original BIOS if things don't work though before you try it.

Usual disclaimer - if your computer bursts into flames please don't slash my tyres!

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version