ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > General Software Discussion

ToolTipFixer 2.0 for Windows < Vista

(1/4) > >>

Apathetic_Coding:
I hope I am posting this in the correct spot.

I did a search on the forum for some of my favorite freeware to let others in the community know about them.

The first I came across is “Tool Tip Fixer 2.0” by NeoSmart.
http://neosmart.net/dl.php?id=10

If you use a version of windows lower than Vista, this could be of use to you.
Here is a quote from the site:

Ever since Microsoft invented the Windows Shell with explorer.exe back in the days of Windows 95, there's been a bug that's gone from one version of Windows to the next; and with each upgrade it became worse and worse - until Vista where it only rears its ugly head every once in a while instead: tooltips appear behind the taskbar, where you can't read them and they are of no use to you. And there's nothing you can do about it!
NST ToolTipFixer patches this bug for once and for all, doing what Microsoft hasn't been able to do in 13 years.

--- End quote ---

I have run this freeware for around a year now on XP SP3 with no adverse effects and have never had the annoying ToolTip problem since.
The app is very small with a working set of about 1200 k

It stays in my repository of freeware that I install on every reformat and my clients machines.

mouser:
Oh wow i've had that problem before and never known about a fix.. sounds interesting; thanks for posting.

app103:
Is something that has to stay running in the background at all times?

I have an old slow WinME machine that has had a tooltip issue for many years, but not one of tooltips showing behind the taskbar. The issue I have had is tooltips failing to show at all, anywhere, in any app. They just suddenly stop working, then later start working again. I have never been able to figure out what is triggering it or how to fix it.

One of the apps I wrote even had a feature added to it specifically because of this problem. My clock application has the option to show the date in a dialog, for use when my tooltips stop working.

I wonder if this utility could help, but then again if it has to stay running in the background at all times, it wouldn't be too useful on that really low spec machine.

Josh:
What about the TTFH (ToolTip From Hell), aka the one that JUST WONT GO AWAY!!!! is there a fix for that?

Apathetic_Coding:
Is something that has to stay running in the background at all times?

I have an old slow WinME machine that has had a tooltip issue for many years, but not one of tooltips showing behind the taskbar. The issue I have had is tooltips failing to show at all, anywhere, in any app. They just suddenly stop working, then later start working again. I have never been able to figure out what is triggering it or how to fix it.

One of the apps I wrote even had a feature added to it specifically because of this problem. My clock application has the option to show the date in a dialog, for use when my tooltips stop working.

I wonder if this utility could help, but then again if it has to stay running in the background at all times, it wouldn't be too useful on that really low spec machine.
-app103 (January 10, 2010, 01:28 PM)
--- End quote ---

the app stays running and registers as a service but the working set memory is very low, around 1200k with virtually no file reads or writes. I wouldn't think you would experience any performance degradation, but if you do the app is very easy to uninstall.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version