ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > General Software Discussion

At last: MP3 Lossless!!!

<< < (16/16)

sajman99:
FWIW BonkEnc (new to me) is a free audio converter and CD ripper which is currently well-regarded. Could be worth a look. 8)

akx:
Try 7zip or rar. The main difference of the lossless compressors is sometimes a small function before compression similar to this one:
for (t_audiosize x=0; x<wavlen-1; x++) { wav[x] = wav[x+1]-wav[x]; if (wav[x]<0) wav[x]=0-wav[x]; }
... That´s all
-Crush (January 12, 2010, 11:54 AM)
--- End quote ---
Um... really?

Also, Exact Audio Copy (EAC) is lovely indeed, it interfaces neatly with both LAME for MP3 encoding and FLAC for lossless.

f0dder:
Yep, EAC is the best ripper-- especially if you have a scratched CD. Other free tools like CDex and Audiograbber reportedly get the job done as well. -sajman99 (January 13, 2010, 02:01 PM)
--- End quote ---
...as long as the CDs aren't scratched or copy-protected, in which case I don't think you should use anything besides EAC or dBpoweramp.

AudioGrabber freeware? Last time I used it, it was commercial... and used the sucky XING engine. Or am I thinking about something else with a similar name?

sajman99:
f0dder:
Looks like AudioGrabber has been free for a while (Feb '04), but I didn't realize it is now abandonware. AG's website is gone, but it can still be found at CNET and other download sites.

Personally, I never had any reason to use anything other than EAC with its superior secure ripping mode. I'll take a look at dBpoweramp as well. :)

f0dder:
Personally, I never had any reason to use anything other than EAC with its superior secure ripping mode. I'll take a look at dBpoweramp as well. :)-sajman99 (January 13, 2010, 06:24 PM)
--- End quote ---
EAC's ripping is secure, but I dunno if I'd call it superior - it works by re-ripping each sector multiple times, which strains your drive and can be slow. dBpoweramp utilizes C2 error pointer information, which means it only has to re-rip sectors the drive tells it were ripped problematically - and it does this in a second pass, so the first pass can go full speed (re-ripping a sector means searching back, which is a pretty slow operation). Unfortunately, not all drives support C2, and some that do don't support it reliably :/

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[*] Previous page

Go to full version