ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

DonationCoder.com Software > FARR Plugins and Aliases

FARR plugin: FarrWebMetaSearch 1.6.0

<< < (4/17) > >>

phitsc:
Very cool Perry! Thanks for that.

I've started to implement the possibility to show basic info about searches. Pressing Shift + Enter on a search without search terms will show info about the respective search in FARR's internal HTML view mode.

Concerning a quick way of navigating between subsearches: making it possible to add a switch at the end would certainly be an option. It has two drawbacks though: it will trigger a re-search (which I might be able to prevent) and it won't be possible to show a list of subsearches for the user to select. However, I had these two ideas to help with the problem:
1. add a statusbar icon for each subsearch. pressing an icon would switch to the respective subsearch with the current search terms.
2. introduce subsearch abbreviations so that a user doesn't have to type the whole subsearch name (because there's no auto completion when used at the end instead of at the beginning)

what do you think?

Perry Mowbray:
If we start by thinking what would work for this scenario that then refine so that it's useful for all??

For this type of search what would be nice is to re-use part of the result for different subSearches.

So if I had a reverse search on "Play with words" I get a hundred results+ (words). What would be neat is to be able to get that result ($1 from the RegEx) and use that as the search term for a new search. That way if I wasn't sure about the meaning of a word I could select it and use it to do a new search.

This was why I was wondering about a context menu definition: you could add text for menu and the subSearch to use

* "Definition of $1" >> [Quick]
* "Dictionary listings with $1" >> [Dicts]
* "Phrases with $1" >> [Prase]
* etc
Is search history a possibility? I'm wondering about navigating backward from the definition lookup mentioned before. That would make good status bar icons.

subSearch abbreviations is a good idea, you'll notice I used [Dicts], but +Di would be even better  :)

I'm not sure how that fits with the whole plugin??

phitsc:
If we start by thinking what would work for this scenario that then refine so that it's useful for all??

For this type of search what would be nice is to re-use part of the result for different subSearches.

So if I had a reverse search on "Play with words" I get a hundred results+ (words). What would be neat is to be able to get that result ($1 from the RegEx) and use that as the search term for a new search. That way if I wasn't sure about the meaning of a word I could select it and use it to do a new search.

This was why I was wondering about a context menu definition: you could add text for menu and the subSearch to use

* "Definition of $1" >> [Quick]
* "Dictionary listings with $1" >> [Dicts]
* "Phrases with $1" >> [Prase]
* etc-Perry Mowbray (January 18, 2010, 06:03 PM)
--- End quote ---
Ok, I'll try to do that next.

Is search history a possibility? I'm wondering about navigating backward from the definition lookup mentioned before. That would make good status bar icons.
-Perry Mowbray (January 18, 2010, 06:03 PM)
--- End quote ---
Can you please elaborate?

subSearch abbreviations is a good idea, you'll notice I used [Dicts], but +Di would be even better  :)
-Perry Mowbray (January 18, 2010, 06:03 PM)
--- End quote ---
I've implemented abbreviations. They will be specified like so: [Dicts|Di]

Perry Mowbray:
History: I mean something like this scenario:
1. Reverse look up -> list of words
2. Quick search a word from the result list -> list of definitions
3. Not the definition I want, Navigate back 1 in history -> #1 list of words
4. Quick search a different word -> list of definitions
5. Happy with definition, get Dictionary List for word -> dictionary listing
6. Not happy with dictionary list, Navigate back 2 in history -> #3 list of words

Abbreviations: will they be either/or?

subSearch switching: Just a note -- I've just realised that I used $1 in each of the examples... it may be $1 for one subSearch and $3 for another: if you get my drift  :-\

phitsc:
Abbreviations: either/or, yes.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version