ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > General Software Discussion

Anyone still using WordPerfect?

<< < (5/5)

zridling:
Suddenly I thought of the Simpsons and Apu Nahasapeemapetilon's doctoral dissertation.

"He graduated first in his class of nine million at Caltech -- the Calcutta Institute of Technology -- going on to earn his doctorate at the Springfield Heights Institute of Technology. His dissertation was the world's first computer program to play perfect tic-tac-toe. Bart Simpson ruined it by plucking a random punch card out of the box along with several others and the comment, 'Hey, what's this one do?' Apu promptly pitched it into the trash."

sword:
Their marketing is not strong. I believe their product is excellent and worth every penny. I use earlier versions, up to v12. WordPerfect Universe and Barry McDowell's Toolbox show some features and have links to other uses. Tables, columns, searching files, very large page sizes, indexing, macros, master documents, file lists and reveal codes are some of my favorites. If you have something that you would like it to do, I'll try to locate the help file or method. There is a reason why law firms, government, universities and writers prefer WordPerfect. It works very well.

xtabber:
Writemonkey bears an uncanny cultural resemblance to the DOS-based XYWrite wordprocessor. XYWrite, in turn, was based on the ATEX word processing program which ran on mainframes way back when. ATEX was the wordprocessor for its time. ATEX was used extensively by major news agencies and newspaper publishers such as the New York Times.
-40hz (December 22, 2009, 06:54 PM)
--- End quote ---

In DOS days, the New York Times, and many others, also used XyWrite as their standard PC word processor,. until Microsoft leveraged Windows integration to make Microsoft Word the de facto standard. XyWrite on an IBM PC-XT was faster than MS Word 2007 is today on just about any current personal computer, which is why it was beloved of those who wrote for a living.

ATEX and XyWrite were based on a markup language not unlike HTML and used style sheets, allowing for greater separation of content and presentation than any other word processing system. That also meant that one could concentrate on writing and add the styling later, instead of trying to format as one types, as is encouraged by programs like Word. Although XyWrite itself is long gone, it lives on as the core of Nota Bene, a word processing system specifically designed for academics.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[*] Previous page

Go to full version