ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Special User Sections > Site/Forum Features

Should we experiment with google ads on the site for 1 month?

<< < (9/11) > >>

justfarley:
As a reply to (Stephen) Stephen66515, and to those who probably just ignored what I said, I'll try again:
1."Where's the simple yes/no vote clicker?"
How about inserting a small yes or no vote collector to count how folks respond when they are browsing through the question posed by the topic. That way we'd have a beginning ROUGH count for initial responses.
2. "Experiment? YES."
Sure. Like all good science based enterprises we owe it to ourselves to try an experimental situation as the launch pad for change. Let's do an experiment - but please, it's incumbent upon us to do one mindfully; explicit hypotheses, propositions, determinants, et cetera
3. "Label it so - CLEARLY. Along with the option out."
How about including a way to shut out the ad (and count when the selection is chosen), while at our site. And make the option BIG and easy to see. If that's against Google policy - again, a way to register a no vote for the enterprise.
4."Let google promote its' ads in such a way that the users here want to see what they're up to (lol), or not."
Surely they would propose a set of coherently context dependent ads - not ones for "hot, sex starved " virtuals; but rather those concerned with our ethos -computer related ...  If they paid us to peruse interesting offers for stuff we would look at elsewhere, no harm, no foul - just American Money. These ads would NOT, by the way mean we're endorsing any of the products presented, but we could easily say so explicitly above our experimental package. Major Geek IMHO doesn't do a very good job at it; but they are a pretty good site with a lot to offer - just motivated by some obscure profit margin.

Sorry if my mind speak caused shrugs and rolling eyes; but I really am an old disabled Vietnam Vet laughing at the fact that it took you all 45 years to begin to notice that head trauma and war have a pretty tight correlation coefficient. Hats off to the newly emerging patriotic vets coming home these days. It's still hell, no matter what the folks back home think, or feel.

KynloStephen66515:
Sorry if my mind speak caused shrugs and rolling eyes; but I really am an old disabled Vietnam Vet laughing at the fact that it took you all 45 years to begin to notice that head trauma and war have a pretty tight correlation coefficient. Hats off to the newly emerging patriotic vets coming home these days. It's still hell, no matter what the folks back home think, or feel.
-justfarley (February 14, 2010, 07:59 PM)
--- End quote ---

There was no requirement for that information, but I am very sympathetic (I'm ex-RAF {UK}).  I merely questioned your post as I did not understand what you meant.

As a reply to (Stephen) Stephen66515, and to those who probably just ignored what I said, I'll try again:
1."Where's the simple yes/no vote clicker?"
How about inserting a small yes or no vote collector to count how folks respond when they are browsing through the question posed by the topic.

--- End quote ---

We don't use vote options as you don't get a true guage of why people have said what they have said.

2. "Experiment? YES."
Sure. Like all good science based enterprises we owe it to ourselves to try an experimental situation as the launch pad for change. Let's do an experiment - but please, it's incumbent upon us to do one mindfully; explicit hypotheses, propositions, determinants, et cetera

--- End quote ---

The decision has been made...it was a no.

3. "Label it so - CLEARLY. Along with the option out."
How about including a way to shut out the ad (and count when the selection is chosen), while at our site. And make the option BIG and easy to see. If that's against Google policy - again, a way to register a no vote for the enterprise.

--- End quote ---

No point due to above statement.

4."Let google promote its' ads in such a way that the users here want to see what they're up to (lol), or not."
Surely they would propose a set of coherently context dependent ads - not ones for "hot, sex starved " virtuals; but rather those concerned with our ethos -computer related ...  If they paid us to peruse interesting offers for stuff we would look at elsewhere, no harm, no foul - just American Money. These ads would NOT, by the way mean we're endorsing any of the products presented, but we could easily say so explicitly above our experimental package. Major Geek IMHO doesn't do a very good job at it; but they are a pretty good site with a lot to offer - just motivated by some obscure profit margin.

--- End quote ---

Google Ads on this website would need to be relevant, but in order to be relevant they would have to advertise other software companies.  This would obviously cause a problem with the fact, the users of Donation Coder promote FOSS (Free Open Source Software) and advertising such companies would be the complete opposite of what we are trying to achieve.

I am all for Donation Coder making a buck or two, but after much deliberation and thought, it is much better if Advertisements of such nature are kept well away from here.

If any type of advertising should be thought about, its specific, and targeted companies, which have been voted for by the Donation Coder team and forum community.

-Stephen

3of0:
Going through my old newsletters and bringing up a dead thread...

I see previously users could disable the ads if they donated.  And then the suggestion to have anyone disable them.
-= Inverts the box =-
What if users who wanted to support the site, would allow a small Google ad to be part of their post?

mouser:
What if users who wanted to support the site, would allow a small Google ad to be part of their post?
--- End quote ---

that's definitely an interesting idea.. however i think the reality of web ads, and perhaps this is a dirty little secret of websites that are funded by them, is that they really provide income precisely because they are a way to make money from the millions of irregular anonymous people who end up stopping by a site randomly while searching for things.  hence the obsession with search engine ranking and sites creating and naming content that will come up high in search engines.

so.. as much as it wouldn't hurt to allow hardcore dc supporters to enable ads, it would almost certainly bring in no revenue.  it might be interesting to try it just for fun though..

however, i think we've pretty much decided that ads are not for us.. as long as our members and fans will respond to fundraisers occasionally, we will be fine.

cmpm:
I see advertising in most threads here by the things people here recommend.
Those program developers might consider donating as well.
And I'm sure some do.

These ads by users who have these programs, like them and refer us to them.
Without getting paid to say what they say,
just talking about them or what someone else uses and prefers even.
Better then any other ads I have ever seen.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version