ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Special User Sections > Site/Forum Features

Should we experiment with google ads on the site for 1 month?

<< < (8/11) > >>

kartal:
But I am troubled by how the entire internet seems to be moving to content funded by advertisements, and I think being funded by voluntary donations from actual users is an entirely different and much more healthy way of existing in the long term.
-mouser (February 13, 2010, 02:39 AM)
--- End quote ---

Word up.

I also think that web sites should be able to get funding, grants from various institutions.

Google ads is not worth the trouble really. Because of such easy money making sounding ideas many web sites are erected with small content to lure viewers to make couple dollars every month, and in many cases these sites never go further and expand the content because couple dollars extra every month from Gmnakes them happy enough that they seek no further effort to expand the content.

rgdot:
I agree with all the things mouser says on the general issue of sites and money and frankly continually astounded (in a good way) by DC and free software in general. Having said that I think a person who is the modern version of a journalist or a software creator can not just hope for donations or institutional or VC support. Donation based is not always a success (believe me I have been involved in more than one case) and financial support mainly goes to the biggest or the most promising (mozilla or twitter for two admittedly big examples)
A small site with relatively low content is not argument against some one who makes a site his 'career'. We have a very good example right here on DC...ghacks

SKesselman:
Just curious...why are the only ads being discussed in this thread about Google ads?
Please correct me if I'm wrong, but I've read the entire thread, and I didn't see anything that said the experiment was about displaying Google ads only.

Judging form the responses, it seems that a very strong concern here is that DC would feel that it would be compromising its identity as the wonderfully unique & skilled, helpful community that it is, or that it might be (understandably) degrading itself by using Google ads.

What about experimenting with ads for companies or sole developers that DC finds reputable, interesting, or educational, and all on topic with computing?
By advertising these types of sites, the overall feeling of the DC admins and members selling advertising here might be "cleaner"?  :-\

KynloStephen66515:
Just curious...why are the only ads being discussed in this thread about Google ads?
Please correct me if I'm wrong, but I've read the entire thread, and I didn't see anything that said the experiment was about displaying Google ads only.
-SKesselman (February 13, 2010, 12:08 PM)
--- End quote ---

Read post title..."Should we experiment with google ads on the site for 1 month?"

cranioscopical:
By advertising these types of sites, the overall feeling of the DC admins and members selling advertising here might be "cleaner"?-Sarah
--- End quote ---

My own feeling is that, no matter how many disclaimers to the contrary, ads on a web site imply product endorsement by that site.
As I understand it, that's something that DC prefers to avoid.
Reviews by individual members present a slightly different aspect.

Asking software companies to donate product comes awfully close to implied endorsement as well, of course, and I don't see much complaint about the freebies  :)

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version