ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Special User Sections > Site/Forum Features

Should we experiment with google ads on the site for 1 month?

<< < (7/11) > >>

justfarley:
Said that also.

KynloStephen66515:
Said that also.
-justfarley (February 12, 2010, 12:19 AM)
--- End quote ---

Care to be a little more specific?

kartal:
Sure you can put ads , but I would be blocking anything Google using 5 layers of ad blockers, ad blocking proxy, ip blockers(especially Google Ips) ,script blockers, cookie deleters,java script disablers you name it. As long as blocked content does not mess up the layout. Heck I even use text based browsers to block any kind of ads when I am browsing. I have a thing for ads especially when they are obnoxious or sneaky.

In general I would be sad to see ads here regardless of me blocking them or not.  I dont think that you would make enough out of Google ads too. You earn, .005 google earns 1000. Also ad serving scripts endanger your viewers-users privacy. Everytime you serve an ad to someone you are endangering user privacy and net neutrality.

OldElmerFudd:
Not an unreasonable idea for an experiment, but think about putting it on the back burner for a while. Jan-March is one of the worst times of the year for retail environments. The revenue from ads at this time of year would be skewed to a low amount. Think of some time between June and December; you'll get a clearer picture of the effectiveness and the general level of reaction. imo.

mouser:
This doesn't really go to the issue about whether we should *try* ads on site to experiment with them, but the more i think about it the more sure i am that DonationCoder should never move to an advertising-based site.

There can be no doubt that there are many small indie sites who simply could never have existed without the revenue provided by web adverts, and so i'm in no position to say that they are a bad thing categorically.

But I am troubled by how the entire internet seems to be moving to content funded by advertisements, and I think being funded by voluntary donations from actual users is an entirely different and much more healthy way of existing in the long term.

So as long as we can survive on our donations, and there is absolutely nothing to indicate that we can't for the forseeable long-term future, i think the current model works well for us and see no reason to change it.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version