ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Special User Sections > Site/Forum Features

Should we experiment with google ads on the site for 1 month?

<< < (6/11) > >>

KynloStephen66515:
Idea: Place Google ads, on a hidden section of the website (no main links on any pages, except in maybe a forum post) that way, people who want to donate, but are unable to, for one reason or another, can do so, by clicking a few links?

This wouldn't affect the website in any way, and it wouldn't have to scare off prospective members.

mouser:
that goes against all terms of google ads and they would react to that very negatively.

also i think it addresses wrong issue. people who want to donate but can't, are always the people who end up contributing in other ways -- they contribute their time or good karma, etc.  there are always ways to help dc without involving money, and i don't think we need to worry about trying to find new ways for people who *want* to help dc.

the reason ads are taking over the entire web and seem to be underwriting and paying for almost every website in existence, is that they are a way to make money from people completely passively without relying on any good will or intention of the visitor.  it's not a very pleasant concept but it works, largely because it's so simple and requires no action on the part of anyone, and because the annoyance factor is arguably less than most other methods.

mouser:
By the way i should say that i raised this question more out of curiosity -- i didn't mean to spark a big conversation about raising money for DC.

We do have our occasional fundraisers which have been doing fine and i think we need to focus on creating more content rather than raising money or getting more members, etc.

I think the last fundraiser went really well.. and maybe if there is any area where we might talk of improving funding and membership in DC, we might be well advised to focus on making the fundraisers more appealing and get the word out about them better.  The fundraisers also just "feel" better to me in terms of raising money -- they stick with the idea of asking people to support the site voluntarily to help create more stuff that they like.

justfarley:
Where's the simple yes/no vote clicker?
Experiment? YES.
Label it so - CLEARLY. Along with the option out. Let google promote its' ads in such a way that the users here want to see what they're up to (lol), or not.

KynloStephen66515:
Where's the simple yes/no vote clicker?
Experiment? YES.
Label it so - CLEARLY. Along with the option out. Let google promote its' ads in such a way that the users here want to see what they're up to (lol), or not.
-justfarley (February 11, 2010, 11:41 AM)
--- End quote ---

Dunno about anybody else, but I didn't quite understand this...

Are you saying you would like to see Ad's on here, but giving the user an option to 'opt-out' of seeing them?

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version