ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Special User Sections > Site/Forum Features

Should we experiment with google ads on the site for 1 month?

<< < (5/11) > >>

Mamoun:
I know I should be testing Bootsnooze right now and comment on it first but I'm posting this from a computer in the university, so it's obviously not allowed and my laptop at home has some battery problems. Anyway...

To be honest even with ad blocking off I usually ignore Google ads, having said that, I found Gmail's 1 line ads found on top of the emails list to be really the best kind of ads I have seen; they are very simple, not annoying at all and (giving that it matches some of the content of the emails, which are tech related) they can be sometimes interesting. Perhaps If we can have some kind of 1 line ad between, let's say every 2 posts in a topic, these ads can also display RSS feed headlines occasionally that the member have chosen in his profile, or even members-posted computer tips, it would be really nice way to have ads here without ruining the forum layout.

ssoundman:
I find myself agreeing with slowmaker and Carol - please don't do it. I agree that it would negatively impact how visitors view the site. The analogy of sticking your finger in a fan or shooting yourself in the foot are very good.

I also agree that having some merchandise available at a reasonable cost would be a good alternative source of revenue, while keeping some special merchandise set aside for special gifts and such.

So, in a word (or 6), please don't test the Google ads.

parkint:

I also agree that having some merchandise available at a reasonable cost would be a good alternative source of revenue, while keeping some special merchandise set aside for special gifts and such.

-ssoundman (February 10, 2010, 09:03 AM)
--- End quote ---
I agree.
Try CafePress and create some desirable 'logowear' items.  We all love coffee mugs and clever T shirts, don't we?

{I have an official DailyWTF mug and stickers from Google.  I am such a geek!}

Bamse:
No you should not experiment but permanently put Google ads in "Found deals and Discounts" forum. Of course not optimal for slowmaker if that is also part of his "home"  8) Personal wishes overrules most things but this match is perfect.

Majority of users would not care about ads since they are on almost every site and blog. A good deal probably expect ads! If they really do care they use Adblocking already = approval of any ad-ridden site. Make so much sense... Some are annoyed if ads are placed stupidly, like in between forum posts and such. Ads take blaim for that though the bad guy really is he who runs the place - and took Googles encouragements a bit too far, heh.

rgdot:
Experiment or otherwise I agree with Bamse. The way I see it for the majority of the web the time of running away from (reasonably) ad-laden sites is over. It is natural to fear it downloading malware but ad on an established friendly site is either turned off or accepted as a necessity.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version