ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > General Software Discussion

SUPER © updated, download from Major Geeks

<< < (3/5) > >>

superboyac:
Haha, I'm getting some kind of sick enjoyment out of reading this thread.  I've always been dumbfounded by that Super website.  I mean, seriously, what the heck is going on there?  It's like a where's Waldo to find that download link.  It's annoying as hell.  At the same time, the software is pretty great (and free), so what do you say?  I don't know.  Definitely funny on some level, though.

Curt:
... there are Firefox extensions (and Ad Muncher will do it as well)
has a side-effect of not showing web server admins where you are coming from.
-Innuendo (January 05, 2010, 11:08 AM)
--- End quote ---

I have never even tested Ad Muncher, because I don't understand why it is so expensive. I could understand if it was $20/$30 ONCE. But yearly?!! Do you use it? Is it really worth that much money? Why?

Are there any free addon that will do the trick in mention?  :tellme:

f0dder:
AdMuncher intercepts *all* network traffic systemwide, not just your browser - thus it can hide ads that appear in 3rd party programs and whatnot. Whether or not this is worth the pricetag is up to you, personally I'm happy with AdBlockPlus (although I've started to notice cases where it slows down stuff considerably :( ).

As for not showing where you're coming from (blocking HTTP Referer) and other filtering tricks, you could check out Privoxy - it's somewhat Geekboy PowerheadTM, though :)

superboyac:
AdMuncher intercepts *all* network traffic systemwide, not just your browser - thus it can hide ads that appear in 3rd party programs and whatnot. Whether or not this is worth the pricetag is up to you, personally I'm happy with AdBlockPlus (although I've started to notice cases where it slows down stuff considerably :( ).

As for not showing where you're coming from (blocking HTTP Referer) and other filtering tricks, you could check out Privoxy - it's somewhat Geekboy PowerheadTM, though :)
-f0dder (January 06, 2010, 01:22 AM)
--- End quote ---
I love Ad Muncher, it's one of my favorite programs.  Adblock plus is really good also, obviously.  I have to somewhat disagree that Ad Muncher is expensive.  First off, the author gives lifetime upgrades.  Secondly, I still insist as I've done before, that you are not going to find any software under $20.  There's almost nothing that's good, even tiny little shareware programs, that is that cheap.  In fact, if I like the software and it's $20 or under, I just get it without thinking twice.  I don't know what a lot of you are expecting.  Software for $5?  The only thing I can think of is iphone apps.  But everything is over $20 these days.  Either that, or it's free.  There isn't much in the $1-$20 range.

[edit] My bad!  I didn't realize Ad Muncher had changed their policy over the years.  They are now a subscription based registration (like antivirus programs).  There's still the option to buy a lifetime license, but it's around $80.  Yeah, that's expensive.  I guess it's just up to you.  It's unfortunate that they went that way because before, with the lifetime license, it was a fantastic deal.  Still, in its defense, it is better than Adblock plus.  How much better...not sure.

Innuendo:
I have never even tested Ad Muncher, because I don't understand why it is so expensive. I could understand if it was $20/$30 ONCE. But yearly?!! Do you use it? Is it really worth that much money? Why?-Curt (January 05, 2010, 05:49 PM)
--- End quote ---

I use it...but I bought it way back when they offered a lifetime license & I used a DonationCoder discount code. Not sure I'd buy it at the current prices.

Are there any free addon that will do the trick in mention?
--- End quote ---

There has to be. That option is turned off in my Ad Muncher, but I'm still able to pull off the trick. Must be one of the 40 or so Firefox Extensions I have installed. I'll dig around in their options to see if I can find which one is providing the mojo.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version