ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Other Software > Developer's Corner

micropayments - how are the filesharing people making it work?

<< < (2/2)

f0dder:
Why on earth would you use them for that, when there's already reputable download+indexing sites like download.com and friends? Pay people to harvest files from other sources and put them on rapidshare, which is used for... well, what exactly, apart from warez and sending the random file to a friend? O_o

slowmaker:
Why on earth would you use them for that, when there's already reputable download+indexing sites like download.com and friends? Pay people to harvest files from other sources and put them on rapidshare, which is used for... well, what exactly, apart from warez and sending the random file to a friend? O_o
-f0dder (January 02, 2010, 01:48 PM)
--- End quote ---

What's the thing that got donationcoder started, according to the 'about' pages and the article somewhere on the site (from 2006 or so, I think)? Looking for payment options that work and are unobtrusive to the user.

That's the point of considering whether paid-to-download sites might someday be a reasonable idea for legitimate files.

As stated above, I don't actually think it would work, because of the mirroring thing and the various dodgy methods these guys use to obscure the free download link.

I just think any idea that gives software authors a way to survive while doing what they love should be giving a fair mulling over, not summarily kicked to the curb because we reflexively associate the host with warez or pirated movies.

You know; give it a fair trial, then shoot it. :)

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[*] Previous page

Go to full version