topbanner_forum

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
  • Thursday March 28, 2024, 1:28 am
  • Proudly celebrating 15+ years online.
  • Donate now to become a lifetime supporting member of the site and get a non-expiring license key for all of our programs.
  • donate

Author Topic: Question about FScript (1.19)  (Read 6593 times)

jpprater

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Question about FScript (1.19)
« on: December 10, 2009, 09:47 PM »
I'm trying to write a FARR plugin using FScript.  Other plugins I've seen have used aliases to trigger the action of the plugin itself, but I'm having issues wrapping my head around what these plugins are actually doing. The documentation isn't telling me very much about how to interpret that, unfortunately. :(
For instance, in my plugin, the user can type in 'pinfo explore'.  The only result my plugin returns for that is "Search for $$1".  Upon pressing enter, the plugin should run a query using the specified parameter.  I can't even figure out how to make my plugin accept a parameter, let alone trigger anything with it!  Any help, please?

mouser

• First Author
  • Administrator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Mouser's Software Zone on DonationCoder.com
    • Read more about this member.
    • Donate to Member
Re: Question about FScript (1.19)
« Reply #1 on: December 10, 2009, 09:51 PM »
Ok so let me start by saying:
The reason you are frustrated is not your fault -- it's mine for not doing a better job explaining and documenting plugin stuff, and its just the nature of the current state of FARR.
So curse me out, take a deep breath, and then please don't give up.
The other problem is that the fscript plugin wrapper is an incredible thing that i only have the most beginner understanding of.. so im not the best one to help, but ill try until the fscript pros come by.
« Last Edit: December 10, 2009, 09:53 PM by mouser »

mouser

• First Author
  • Administrator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #2 on: December 10, 2009, 09:54 PM »
Let's start off with the basics:
What language are you planning to actually write your fscript-based plugin in? Javascript I assume?
Have you considered using FSubScript instead of Fscript? FSubScript uses Fscript but makes it a bit easier to do common stuff.

jpprater

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #3 on: December 10, 2009, 10:03 PM »
What language are you planning to actually write your fscript-based plugin in? Javascript I assume?
Have you considered using FSubScript instead of Fscript? FSubScript uses Fscript but makes it a bit easier to do common stuff.
Javascript, yes.  Does FSubscript have the same API (except for putting plugin code in an fsubscript.js file instead of fscript.js ;))?

mouser

• First Author
  • Administrator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #4 on: December 10, 2009, 10:06 PM »
fsubscript is easier for smaller plugins, i think the api is a bit simplified.

i should say one other thing -- although its a bit confusing at first, i think you'll find that once you get the hang of it, it's really easy to make plugins in either fscript or fsubscript -- it's just getting started and getting your first plugin working that is the tricky part.

your instinct was right -- find a sample plugin and work from that.

jpprater

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #5 on: December 10, 2009, 10:11 PM »
I'm trying, Mouser. :)  You've done an awesome job on FARR, and I appreciate it tremendously.
I'd like to get this done in time for a NANY release, but if that doesn't work out, I have a fine mini NANY that'll take it's place. :D  Non-FARR-related, sadly, but it'll still be cool.  :up:

ecaradec

• Honorary Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Blog & Projects
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #6 on: December 26, 2009, 09:57 AM »
I've put some documentation on how to build FARR plugins with FScript on the FARR plugin developer wiki at : http://farr.dcisv.co...script_documentation. The easiest way to start is by taking a plugin and modifying it to your need. It's easier to start in javascript or vbscript because other script language require custom setup on your desktop.
Blog & Projects : Blog | Qatapult | SwiffOut | FScript
« Last Edit: December 26, 2009, 09:59 AM by ecaradec »

jpprater

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #7 on: December 26, 2009, 04:43 PM »
I've put some documentation on how to build FARR plugins with FScript on the FARR plugin developer wiki at : http://farr.dcisv.co...script_documentation. The easiest way to start is by taking a plugin and modifying it to your need. It's easier to start in javascript or vbscript because other script language require custom setup on your desktop.
Nice job, ecaradec! 8) Thank you!