ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Other Software > Developer's Corner

Resources for learning git?

<< < (10/11) > >>

Tuxman:
that would still classify as native.-f0dder (October 09, 2015, 06:45 PM)
--- End quote ---

No.

BTW: How many languages does the git "native" Windows version actually use? Mercurial uses one...

f0dder:
that would still classify as native.-f0dder (October 09, 2015, 06:45 PM)
--- End quote ---
No.
-Tuxman (October 09, 2015, 06:52 PM)
--- End quote ---
Then answer my previous question: "What is your definition of native?" - and, while you're add it, elaborate on why it matters.

BTW: How many languages does the git "native" Windows version actually use? Mercurial uses one...-Tuxman (October 09, 2015, 06:52 PM)
--- End quote ---
Mercurial is a mix of Python and native modules - core Git is C and shell scripts (and I haven't checked what portion is shell scripts these days).

It would be nice if there was a (maintained) "Git core" package, but the maintainers have decided that most people are better off with the full package... to which I'd have to agree.

Tuxman:
Then answer my previous question: "What is your definition of native?" - and, while you're add it, elaborate on why it matters.-f0dder (October 13, 2015, 06:50 AM)
--- End quote ---

Native equals "not requiring some weird emulation layer", and it matters because of performance, maintainability and quality.

mwb1100:
I get my Windows git from nuwen's MinGW package: http://nuwen.net/mingw.html

Stephan Lavavej builds the package himself with the MinGW compiler he builds himself.  The MinGW distro includes some other Unix-y tools compiled for native Win32.  See the website for details.

A nice aspect of the package is that you just unzip it and put it on your path - nothing else is involved in the install.

One possible drawback is that it supports x64 only - both as a host for the tools and as the target for whatever you might build with the compiler.  He considers x86 obsolete.

Tuxman:
MinGW is an emulation layer.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version